A red butt

pebbles8378

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I saved a kitten (about 3 months old) yesterday morning from freezing to death. I think somebody must have dropped her off because she is very friendly and litter box trained already we found out.
I have been around cats all of my life but her butt doesn't seem right. It is kind of red and swollen a little bit. My husband thinks that it might be just red and sore from her cleaning herself out in the cold but I am just not sure. I can't get her into the vet until next week due to them being booked until then and they didn't think it was very serious either since she is using the litter box just fine and her poop looks normal. She also omitted what smelled like a fart last night. No odors, besides the motor oil smell, have come from her tonight and she is using the litter box just fine. I have read a little bit about anal glands but I am not familiar with them. Is this a possibility of what I smelt last night. Thanks to anyone who can help.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would really encourage you to find another vet and get this cat seen. Exposure to the elements depending on her age could stress her out to the point that she has obstructed herself and the reddened area is from her straining to pass her waste and she can't. Because she is a rescue and you don't know much about her, a vet visit as quickly as possible is really advisable. It could even be a prolapsed rectum- worms- or a virile infection- hard to say.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pebbles8378

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Good news. Got Sadie to the vet and everything looks good except for a case of the ear mites. Her butt was all red from her being lazy and not cleaning herself very good. The doc agreed with me after examining her that she was probably a drop off since she was in good health. So everybody is very happy now in our house.