A REALLY Stupid Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

vpf150

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have 4 cats. 3 girls, 1 boy. 2 girls are fixed. I think the 3rd is going into heat now (I got the others fixed before this happened) and I am wondering if I should expect her to bleed when she's in heat...? Never quite understood that. I do want to have 1 litter with this girl and my boy so I don't want to get her fixed yet. Just want to know what to expect when it happens cause I understand it happens alot...

Thanks for any info

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Are the cats you want to breed purebred? If not...I can understand the desire to want to have a litter of kittens...but come this spring, summer....there will be so many mixed breed kittens available. Have you ever considered fostering a pregnant cat from a rescue or a shelter?? The reason I make this suggestion is that you would not have to worry about finding the kittens homes after they are born and you would be able to help a pregnant cat in need. Again..simply a suggestion.

Katie

myrage

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by vpF150

I have 4 cats. 3 girls, 1 boy. 2 girls are fixed. I think the 3rd is going into heat now (I got the others fixed before this happened) and I am wondering if I should expect her to bleed when she's in heat...? Never quite understood that. I do want to have 1 litter with this girl and my boy so I don't want to get her fixed yet. Just want to know what to expect when it happens cause I understand it happens alot...

Thanks for any info
I hope you don't take this wrong. I will explain something first. I have 4 females, all of them fixed. Last spring, I had 3 females 2 fixed, and one not. The one that wasn't was almost 3 years old. While she was in heat, on April 20th, she escaped, and met two tom cats. She got bred durring the night, and I got her in about 10 hours after she escaped. She went to the vet, the vet said she felt babies in there (This was about 2 wks later). When the time came for her to have her babies, she didn't. It was a false pregnancy. I think she miscarried in the beginning of her pregnancy because we were under a lot of stress right after she went to the vet. we were forced to move, and things were tough, and all my cats were stressed out, and we had just taken on another cat (My first kitten, who was living with my parents, and now she was with me, she was 5).

Since my cat didn't have babies, I was upset. I had grown excited about the comming of her kittens. I'd always wanted her to have a litter of kittens before she got fixed, but I was always too picky about the male. We never went looking for one either. I called the shelter a couple days before she was due, and told them our situation. The called me back a week later (5 days after she was due) and told me that they had 3 little 3 wk old kittens with no mommy.

I took her there, she took them in, and we raised them. We kept one of them. The other two got adopted by one of our closest friends.
Finally after 2 and a half years of her yowling, and crying, and annoying the crap out of us, she stopped. We got her fixed finally. Our little girl kitten is also fixed.
NO heats for her.

Now... After all that was over, I was browsing through the threads here, and found a thread that said that letting your cat go in heat ONCE ups her chances of cancer. I will try to find the thread that said that, and link it.

Unless this is a purebred cat, and you intend on getting her bred with another purebred cat, this is certainly NOT a good place to voice that decision. Many people here work very hard every spring and summer to help all the homeless kittens that are from people like us, who wanted their cat bred at least ONCE before we fixed them. I was extremely lucky, she didn't add to the population, and I helped by getting 3 kittens with out a bright future in front of them, MyRage took care of them, loved them. They all have homes, and are happy.

I agree that fostering a pregnant mamma cat, or some abandoned kittens is great. I really wanted MyRage's bloodline to continue, because I do feel that she is the most beautiful cat in the world
After coming here, and getting involved with fostering, I have learned that my decision I made was a very selfish one. I was only thinking of my own feelings. Not how my girl felt, every time she went into heat, and desired something I could not give her. I didn't think of the kittens that would be displaced because a worthy home took my kitten, instead of the kittens that were already at the shelter hoping for a home. I didn't think of the fact that I was putting my cat's health at risk. In all honesty, if I could, I would definately go back into the past. Force ourselves to SAVE The money to get her fixed. We couldn't afford it when we did get it done, but we should have done it so much sooner.

I would just like you to take a minute (If you do not have a purebred cat), and look up some threads here about spaying. Maybe look up some about pregnant cats. Learn as much as you posibly can before deciding NOT to get her fixed, and to breed her. I don't want you to end up like me, and wish you could have made a different decision when you had the chance.

My girl will be 4 years old in June, her kittens will be a year old! I do hope MyRage lives a long and healthy life until about... say 20. Same with Mystyc, Myth, and NyghtShade.

Good luck.

http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...ht=heat+cancer

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vpf150

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No, my cats aren't purebreds, but the two youngest (who aren't fixed) are beautiful cats and I want to do it once. All of my cats are strays and I want one or two more of my own. That's all.
I was just wondering if they bled every time they went into heat.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If they are backyard kitties please get them fixed now. If you want kittens, for pity sake, go to a shelter and rescue a cat already pregnant or a litter of kittens where the mom has died. Don't just breed your strays because they are pretty!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Please get your cats fixed.. genetics of mixed animals is likely to yelled you a litter nothing like either parent and you will be part of the overpopulation problem.

imagyne

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
For those of you who have read the "All Posters Please Read" Sticky at the top of this forum, Thank You! For those of you who haven't, please do. This Forum is for responsible breeders who breed purebred cats. In that light I am closing this thread, as it doesn't have to do with the above.

If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me at any time.

Status
Not open for further replies.