A question regarding fish oil

hersheys mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My healthy pet pantry store does not sell krill oil, just salmon oil. It is very expensive, but they tell me it does not smell fishy (haven't opened it yet). My drug store sells fish oil and half the price, and has all the requirements raw feeding needs. However, the oil is made up of tuna, mackeral and sardine oil. Sounds fishy to me! Hershey Rose does not like fish. Minja will eat tuna and whitefish. However, the raw I am making is from chicken thighs, and I'm wondering how fishy this oil will make the chicken taste. The oil is intended for human consumption, but I read the bottle and it matches the requirements of the raw recipes I have looked at. Has anyone tried using this type of fish oil? Is it very stinky compared to salmon oil? I did find the krill oil in the same drug store, but at $32 for 60 capsules (enough for 6 lbs of meat) it is way out of my budget!

Thanks,

Lei Ann

txcatmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We buy pretty good salmon oil and it is fishy.  Some of the cats like it, some don't.  We squirt it over the food.    The ones who don't like it tolerate it over their favorite snack.  I'd do that rather than mix it into your recipe.  That way if someone really hates it, it isn't mixed into the whole batch.  I think it is better to serve the oils fresh, not mixed into the recipe anyways. 

I have bought fish oil for the humans in the house, but I trust the purity of salmon oil more.  I probably won't buy the fish oil again.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hersheys mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We buy pretty good salmon oil and it is fishy.  Some of the cats like it, some don't.  We squirt it over the food.    The ones who don't like it tolerate it over their favorite snack.  I'd do that rather than mix it into your recipe.  That way if someone really hates it, it isn't mixed into the whole batch.  I think it is better to serve the oils fresh, not mixed into the recipe anyways. 

I have bought fish oil for the humans in the house, but I trust the purity of salmon oil more.  I probably won't buy the fish oil again.
Can I ask you one more question? I have been searching for 2 hours on the internet, but cannot find a way to convert 5000mg to teaspoons. The only salmon oil I could find was liquid, not capsules, and I have no idea how much to add to the 3 lb chicken thigh raw recipe!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How much is the weight listed on the container, and does it tell you what a serving size is, and how many servings are in the container?

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The quality of the oil affects its nutritional value. The "fish oil" is probably fine, especially as you will be adding some vitamin E. :)