A Question About Rigor Mortis

MissingOllie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat died unexpectedly on Wednesday. I loved him so much and his death has shaken me in a way I didn’t expect. When I found his body I screamed like I never have before. But I have NO idea how he died. I realize I will never know but I’m trying to find something close to closure I guess?

I left my house at 11 am and got home around 1. I found him at 1:30. He was laying on the floor with his limbs extended and his mouth fully open as if he was hissing. His eyes were partially open. He looked like he died a terrible death. But based on how stiff he was, it seems more likely that he had died before that. There were a few spots of blood on the carpet but nothing alarming or huge. He was in the middle of a room which was unusual for him.

Would it be possible for rigor mortis to leave him in such a state with his mouth opened?

I remember waking up early that morning to some commotion with my cat meowing a lot but it was a meow similar to him asking for food so I just fell back asleep and it’s eating me alive that I wasn’t there for him. I did not see him that morning. Now that I’m analyzing everything I realize he may have been sick and I just didn’t realize it but I’m not sure if he was attacked by one of our dogs or not. He had no bites or wounds though and very little blood.

Thank you to anyone who read this and can give opinions. I’m so upset over this and feel like I failed him

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MissingOllie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I forgot to specify that my question is if he died naturally during the early morning would rigor mortis make it appear as if he had been hissing?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If he was panting a bit, but not in pain, then, certainly, rigor could appear that way. Even a final gasp for breath might appear so.

I am so, so very sorry for your loss, and even more so for the shocking way in which you discovered this. PLEASE give yourself a bit of a break. Ask yourself this, "Had I any way of knowing, what would I have done?" I am certain that the answer is, "EVERYTHING IN MY POWER!" If that is the case, there is no room for "coulda, woulda, shoulda." You cannot know what you canNOT know. Your baby knew that you loved him. HE does not place blame. My heart with yours.

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats are masters at hiding illness, it is the grief talking that makes you blame yourself but had you known you would've done something for sure. Sometimes, unfortunately horrible things like this just happen, we lost Skipper a few years ago like this, came home and he was dead and stiff and it looked like it was not an easy way to go out, and we had just had him at the vet the night before, so even if you had taken your kitty the end result might have been the same. It is horrible and very upsetting, but you did nothing wrong and your friend is at peace now and healthy and happy, no more pain, just fine, and you will be reunited one day and it will be wonderful.

"Their last breath on Earth is their first breath in Heaven" :rbheart:

With time that image will fade away, I hope that your heart heals a bit more each day, Lord Bless you......:alright: :grouphug: :rbheart:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a situation where the rigor mortise set in immediately after death, while my little one was still in my arms. I still don't understand it. He too, extended his legs and died with open eyes and mouth. That is a natural reaction to death. Your little one's heart most likely was the reason for death, especially a sudden death in the middle of a room. No matter what the reason was, it was his time and he answered the call. He did not want to go, he had to.
Don't blame yourself, or go through all those should haves, could haves. They change nothing and bring only heartache and grief.Don't beat yourself up over something in which you had no intent or control over. You loved that boy, and taht is all he ever wanted. The bond you have with that precious boy can never be taken from you, use it and your memories of happier times to bring you comfort in this time of mourning. He did not want you to see him go, he loves you so much he would want you to go forward now and seek joy and happiness once more in his name. Because that is what love is, it is what you would want for him if you were the first to go. He loved life to the fullest and wants the same for you. Do not let darkness and grief settle in and dwell in your heart. His love is also there and needs the joy of life to bloom and grow.So be thankful you got to share your life's journey for a little while with such a beautiful little soul, he will be waiting for you, and will always be a part of your love. Take care, I'll pray for you both......RIP beautiful one. You will never be forgotten, you will forever have a secure place in a loving heart. May the good lord bless and keep you, until you meet again.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MissingOllie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your responses. I never expected to say goodbye so soon to him and I have been trying not to but the grief is very strong and taking over my thoughts these last few days. I have just been hoping that he didn’t die by being attacked by the dogs and in fear. I’ll always miss my buddy.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
No. It is almost impossible that a dog attack severe enough to kill would NOT leave very obvious signs. Rest easy on that.

I won't tell you that you well get over this, but you will get through it, and slowly your pain will ease to a manageable level. The memories that tear at you now will become sweeter and treasured. That is where the term "bittersweet" came from. SIGH...I wish I could wave a magic wand and make it easier...or perhaps I do not. To paraphrase Kahlil Gibran, our hearts can only hold the amount of joy that our sorrow has carved into it.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with Mamanyt1953, there would have been a LOT of fur scattered and things would have been knocked over.
Grief always has us going over things that are better off left alone. It is because we are in shock, don't accept the death and are trying to find a reason that is acceptable, but our hearts just can't accept right now.....

solomonar

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Supposing you were in the heart of a jungle. And found your best friend Bagherra laying dead near the camp, what you would do?

Remember the cats are not domestic animals. They are as wild as they can be, as wild as a wolf or an eagle.

Cats answer to the Nature call, not to our call. We, the humans cant do anything. We are not called to act or react. We are just another species nearby, which happens to care cats in certain circumstances.

Therefore, is nothing you could do. And I suspect nobody can understand what really happened before that point. At a certain point in our species evolution we lost the capacity to understand Life. We still keep Love to other species and this is important.

Yes, you could investigate. And find some clues. But does it really matter?

You were a lucky person to be loved by a wild cat. You cared and loved the cat and that is all that matters.

Head bow here and respect for people who care.