A question about bowls

momto3cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We have a variety of ceramic, plastic and metal bowls that we've collected over the years. I like to use the heavy ceramic dishes for water, as they don't tip over, and stainless steel for food. The plastic dishes don't get used often anymore. They're just "extras" for times when nothing else is clean.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I have ceramic/china bowls for water, plus a Petmate Fresh Flow. Jamie likes the French onion soup bowls, because they're wide and flat. I use glass salad/dessert dishes for canned food, and ceramic or stainless for dry. Everything goes in the dishwasher.

sahara

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat, when ı first bought her plastic bowls, wouldnt eat out of it but only use it for drinking. But before ı used them ı had washed them both thoroughly with washing up liquid (which was a big mistake!)
I was using only dry food at the time, so I smeared the dry food in it as much as ı could (to cover up the smell of plastic or the washing up liquid) but she just absolutely refused to eat ANYTHING out of it! I put some food in a glass dessert dish which we used and she practically ate the dish itself!!!

Later ı got some wet food ,offered it to her in the glass dish and she gobbled it down as usual but she feels this unique passion for wet food, so ı put some in the plastic bowl (without smearing it) and she FINALLY ate out of it!

A ) dont wash your plastic bowls with strong washing up liquid 'cause they hate the smell thats left over (the wet food was very stinky so it managed to cover up the chemical smell)

B) Plastic bowls DO have a plasticky strong smell which, if it effects us, just think how much it can effect the cat whose sence of smell is much more superior than ours! İmagine eating out of the washing up liquids tube!

And C) Plastic bowls/containers DO have a substance that is harmful to humans (thus it may well be harmful to cats as well. In the recent years ıts been proved that milk,fruit juices and any other drink or food that is sealed in plastic gives out harmful chemicals to humans who consume out of them. Therefore, carton, glass and tin containers are healthier subsitutes. It isnt (atleast where I live) recommended to use plastic for food consumption.
In the cats case, its equally the same. Although,im STILL using 2 plastic bowls, only to have them changed for 2 stainless steel ones. I cant afford to give my cat acne because of cheap plastics! Oh and by the way, if you keep your dry foods in a container , make sure its made of glass or tin, NOT plastıc. It will be as fresh as the first day maybe (the new technology vacuum containers are very good) but due to the nature of the dry food (greasy with high protein) it might change its smell and and the chemicals in the plastic might effect the foods quality. I use glass with a special vacuum seal for my dry foods. I dont like keeping them in their orijinal packages because they expire more quickly but I do KEEP the empty package for references.......TAKE CARE

karabear

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
sahara, that a really good point i had never thought of before. we currently use a rubbermaid container for the kitties food. Does anyone know where to find some cheap non-plastic food storage containers?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use both food and water ceramic bowls - its a matched set. IMO if you don't feed out of plastic, why drink out of plastic?

I do need to find some stainless steel ones for the dog as her dishes are plastic only cause that's how the food stand came (with the plastic) and I haven't found the right size to replace them.