A quesiton for the Ladies of TCS :)

emy4cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kscatlady

My little sister got one a few months ago. She's never had a baby so they had to shove it through some kind of tissue and she threw up! She hasn't had any problems with it either as far as I know. Just spotting that lasted quite a while, and some cramps that were pretty painful.
I have a friend who had to stop taking the pill for health reasons and got the IUD. She also never had a baby and was in a lot of pain after they put it in.

I have never used one, but I know of more then one person who get pregnant while using an IUD.

nekomania

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I wish there was an option for "No, and I never Would" because having an IUD can sometimes come with some pretty severe complications, the worst of which (I think) being the inability to bear children.

IUD's can also cause you to have an etopic pregnancy, or if you do get pregnant with the IUD in you could end up having a miscarriage or really early delivery. It would automatically make you a high-risk pregnancy.

I have also heard it can have a 50-75% increase in menstruation which can lead to a low red blood cell count. Plus lots of cramping and aching.

Plus, I have a friend right now who is 4 months pregnant off of her IUD.

Are you looking into the non-hormonal IUD ParaGuard, because with Mirena I don't see why you couldn't take the pill instead because the hormones are exactly the same.

Overall I wouldn't recommend an IUD to anyone, even though I haven't had it. IMO, the con's drastically outweigh any benefits.

If I were in your shoes and needed a less conventional method of birth control I would look into diaphragms and/or pulling out with spermicides.

You could also couple that with FAMs, that way if you do decide to ever become pregnant again you will also know when you are most fertile. ^^

The more different methods you group together, the better your chances of avoiding pregnancy. If you look at the statistics, using a condom/ Birth Control Pills is relatively equal to the diaphragm coupled with spermicides, and even more effective when used with the pull-out method as well.

I have invested a lot of time and energy into making sure I don't become pregnant before I'm ready.

On an ending note, Planned Parenthood's website will have everything you ever wanted to know about the two IUD's as well as every other method of birth control and statistics regarding each one.

http://www.plannedparenthood.org/hea...l/iud-4245.htm

KittenKrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Had to answer no.....just have to chime in my two cents that this thread has made me remember how really glad I am that I had that particular little peice of me taken out several years ago!

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by NoRachelHere

I can not use conventional b/c methods because of my Lupus, so I am considering the IUD as DH and I cant afford another baby after this one is born, at least not for a while!
I also do not like hormones in my system. And I would never ever have an IUD placed in my body.
I also have a Dh and we use NFP. As long as you are very dedicated it works very well. Read the book the art of natural family planning and you can use a backup method during your risk times. It isn't what you think, and it is much more accurate than what I "thought" it was before I started researching, and is worth looking into, at the very least it is important to be in tune with yourself. It does take some work, but it is worth it and once you get the hang of it, it takes less work as there is a learning curve.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

norachelhere

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cococat

I also do not like hormones in my system. And I would never ever have an IUD placed in my body.
I also have a Dh and we use NFP. As long as you are very dedicated it works very well. Read the book the art of natural family planning and you can use a backup method during your risk times. It isn't what you think, and it is much more accurate than what I "thought" it was before I started researching, and is worth looking into, at the very least it is important to be in tune with yourself. It does take some work, but it is worth it and once you get the hang of it, it takes less work as there is a learning curve.
We were using that method when Anberlin was conceived!

We were very good at it for quite some time but Hubby got a little too adventurous at the WRONG time of the month....

And as far as him getting a vasectomy and freezing sperm and so on, all I have to say is WAY too expensive for our pocket book right now!!!

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by NoRachelHere

We were using that method when Anberlin was conceived!

We were very good at it for quite some time but Hubby got a little too adventurous at the WRONG time of the month....
Well, that was a person fail (well, 2 person fail
), not a method fail. Sounds like you weren't using the method when engaged in what you knew was almost a for sure pregnancy. I know FOR SURE during that time what would happen if I went ahead. We sometimes get lazy in doing the temps and charts every day, but thanks again for the reality check to step it up with that. The method when used properly is a good one.
Use back up method during that time.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ut0pia

Did the implant leave a visible scar? I am curious because I'm thinking of asking about it.
Very small scar, about a 3mm circle but it's not really noticeable because of where it is on the inside of my upper arm.

So far they've used the same area to remove and insert the new ones so I don't have multiple scars.

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittenKrazy

Had to answer no.....just have to chime in my two cents that this thread has made me remember how really glad I am that I had that particular little peice of me taken out several years ago!
I wish they'd take that little piece of me out! I've got about 5 years or so before my Dr. said she would.

Planning on getting Mirena next month at my yearly. I've been on the pill since 07, but would like a BC that lasts longer without having to pay $55/mo on pills. The Dr. advised me against Implanon because 95% of the people she's put it in have had it removed within 1-2 months. Hubby and I don't want kids, but he says he doesn't want a vasectomy yet, and figures if I can get fixed, then he wont have to go through pain LOL. My Dr. said if I go on Mirena for 5 years then she will put the Essure coils (new sterilization method) in even though I'll only be 27/28.

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I personally have a copper (10yr) iud in. I have a blood disorder where I can't take anything with hormones in it or like there disclaimers state I could develope a blood clot. I also was on the pill took it religiously and got pregnant. I was on the depo shot and got pregnant so for me an iud is the only way I can go. I have had no problems with it and no complications. So I would recommend it for you as birth control and its practically no maintenance. You get it inserted a couple weeks later get check to make sure its still in place and then once a month after your period you check for the strings which you can feel in your cervix. Its gross however if you use tampons without an applicator its basically the same concept. Good luck with your choice and if you choose an iud I hope it works for you!

nekomania

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Tara & Rob

but would like a BC that lasts longer without having to pay $55/mo on pills.
OMG!

Planned Parenthood gives BC away like candy. What about generics?