A Outdoor Cat with an Issue

lonelyotaku69

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have been trying to help this outdoor cat I have named Jabba. He seems to be drooling a lot and I notice that sometimes his tongue sticks out. He also coughs like something is in throat that hey can’t get out. However, his breath is terrible, and I’m not sure if that is because he’s an outdoor cat or it’s some other issue. My boyfriend thinks he could have eaten a rock and broken a back tooth. There are a lot of feral cats in my neighborhood, so people are feeding them. I’m just really concerned about what the issue could be, and since I work full time getting him to a vet has been hard. Any advice on what to do?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, Welcome!

You could try adding some L-lysine to his/their food, which will help boost his immune system, but it would really be best for him if you can get him in to a vet. Do you have any TrapNeuterRelease (TNR) organizations in your area, who could help with trapping him? Is there a neighbor who'd be able to take him in to a vet once he's trapped?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Ditto on the welcome to TCS! This cat probably has a viral condition for one thing, as many ferals living in colonies do, but given the drooling and bad breath, he probably also has bad teeth too - for whatever reason.

It sounds like if you can get close enough to smell his breath, there is hope for trapping him. And, as mentioned above, a rescue and/or TNR group could probably help. If one of these type groups can help, that might resolve your issue with getting him to a vet during regular vet hours. Or, if you want to be involved in his care at a vet, look for ones with extended hours or Saturdays, and plan accordingly. In addition to asking for some assistance from neighbors, can your boyfriend help?

I hope you can help Jabba as he sure sounds like he could use it.

I forgot to mention that if you have him checked out for viral issues, some folks on this site use DMG for immune support, but you can try the l-lysine too.

Last edited:

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, is he easy to handle? Could you get him into a carrier? He really needs to see a vet. It could be dental issues or cancer or many other things. But the only way to get him help is to get him into the vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lonelyotaku69

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Not yet but I did find some oral medication online to help him and he has improved. However I do want to get him to a vet ASAP just to make sure he will be ok.

lonelyotaku69

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Good news everyone, I did take him to a vet today, and it turns out he is suffering from stomatitis. It's an inflammation of the mouth. Sadly, he has FIV or Feline Immunodeficiency Virus, and the vet gave him steroids plus an antibiotic. Thankfully I got him to one today, and now he is sleeping. Since he is not fixed, he must have got in a fight with another male cat. To answer the question, yes there are a lot of feral cats in my neighborhood, so I'm glad I got him help.

lonelyotaku69

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. Ditto on the welcome to TCS! This cat probably has a viral condition for one thing, as many ferals living in colonies do, but given the drooling and bad breath, he probably also has bad teeth too - for whatever reason.

It sounds like if you can get close enough to smell his breath, there is hope for trapping him. And, as mentioned above, a rescue and/or TNR group could probably help. If one of these type groups can help, that might resolve your issue with getting him to a vet during regular vet hours. Or, if you want to be involved in his care at a vet, look for ones with extended hours or Saturdays, and plan accordingly. In addition to asking for some assistance from neighbors, can your boyfriend help?

I hope you can help Jabba as he sure sounds like he could use it.

I forgot to mention that if you have him checked out for viral issues, some folks on this site use DMG for immune support, but you can try the l-lysine too.
Yes the vet did check him for viral issues, and he is positive for FIV. I'm sorry for not responding sooner but I work full time.

lonelyotaku69

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, Welcome!

You could try adding some L-lysine to his/their food, which will help boost his immune system, but it would really be best for him if you can get him in to a vet. Do you have any TrapNeuterRelease (TNR) organizations in your area, who could help with trapping him? Is there a neighbor who'd be able to take him in to a vet once he's trapped?
I'll have to remember the L-lysine to his food, but we do have TNRs however he comes to me pretty easily and got him into a carrier.