A new way to keep your kitty cool

pombina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The cats house, we just pay the mortgage..
Last night was a scorcher and because we live on the top floor of a building, we can't open the windows wide because of the cats.
We sat with the fan on but it was disgustingly hot as we get the heat from the whole building and the sun was splitting the pavements outside.
The cats were really struggling with the heat, so I got cold beer bottles out of the fridge and rubbed them on Sleeves and Nismo.
I didn't think they would like it but it was a hit! They both let me rub one side for a while, then they turned over to show me their belly's, then the other side and it really did cool their skin down!
Anyway, if its the same again tonight we'll be doing the same thing

At least we humans can put minimal clothing on but the cats can't take their fur suits off

Just thought I'd share my little idea with you all

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thats a thought because although i try and rub them down with a cool damp face cloth they don't really like it, so theres a couple of bottles of wine going into the fridge tonight to try

Thankfully their room is at the front of the house with the shade and it's lovely and cool, and what i do is put a cool sheet in their bed for them to lie on instead of their blanket.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pombina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought about a wine bottle but because they are bigger I thought it would be hard to hold and not rest on them as that might be quite uncomfortable, the beer bottles were nice and small. If theres no beer just water bottles or something would work aswell.
I felt so bad for them they just both law sprawled out on the floor all day and there was nothing we could do for them
They usually run away from the fan but neither of them moved when I pointed it at them yesterday they were like 'aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah' and rolled onto their backs so it got their tummies

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is pretty warm for our poor furry ones, isn't it?!!

I'll try the cooling technique with lager cans tonight!
I have fans on all over the place, but with the South Facing back it isn't really making much of a difference!

I have even taped silver windscreen thingys to the upstairs windows in the house!
My does it look attractive!

Im planning to pop to Asda later as they have some granite chopping boards (£12.00) that I'll put in the fridge for a while and lay about for them!

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sar

Im planning to pop to Asda later as they have some granite chopping boards (£12.00) that I'll put in the fridge for a while and lay about for them!
That's also a great idea! All of you are so creative!

justgreen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That's a great idea! I'd try that, but then I'd have little tiny hairs all over the beer bottle!
Callie likes to lay on the kitchen (tile) floor, or on the plastic chair mat in front of either computer. I always have the front door open with the glass outer door locked and she lays on the tile there alot too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pombina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fwan

I considered shaving their hair into a lion cut
We joked about shaving them last night too lol. Only when they were in the other room though, don't think they would be very happy hearing us even joke about it

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Grizzly is smart and retreats to the basement in the heat, Bakker lays on the tile floor in one of the bathrooms, bobber sprawls out on the bed-thats one of the warmest rooms in the house and Ox stays on the sofa. Today its cooler so they are back to normal!!

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been helping the cats fight the heat (along with ourselves).
Whitey will hang out by the fridge because the freezer is on the bottom. Plus there is a vent on the floor that is cast iron...so its nice and cool.

I tried the wet towel in the fridge thing, but they didn't like the wetness. So instead I stuck a dry towel in the fridge for an hour. Luna seemed to light that. She kept putting her paws on it.

I'll have to remember the beer though.