A new rescue

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sweetpea7

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had to back off any "working" with them as I am very unwell and simply fed, changed litter trays etc. Left them to it. Worked grand.. The only intervention the last few days has been to stop my big boy going out of the door when he comes in and sees the newcomers. They know that they are doing and are very very good at it indeed and it is great fun watching them interact. Such different personalities among our cats! The wee feral girl sidles round my ankles at feeding time but I would not dare try to pet her. That is fine. She and the new boy watch the outdoor lad through the window. Love having a house of cats again!

janetdr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just joined this site this morning. I was interested because, I took in a 5yr old tabby from our local cat rescue here in Cambria, Ca. USA. We have had 3 cats over the years. One at a time. We have loved them so much. I fostered for a year for a fam. They now have been able to take there cat back. All is well . I was ready to love my own again.  Your story of your little girl sounds like ours. Heart, (our cat  home)  here in town knows little about her. She first came to them with her litter of kittens. She was adopted but, came back because, she was bullied by other cats in home. We have had her 6wks  She is so shy it pains me. She is coming along. With me she is becoming very friendly. When hubby comes in room..Boop under the bed. Makes him feel bad. We will not give up but, how long can this last? 

juleska

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

I just joined this site this morning. I was interested because, I took in a 5yr old tabby from our local cat rescue here in Cambria, Ca. USA. We have had 3 cats over the years. One at a time. We have loved them so much. I fostered for a year for a fam. They now have been able to take there cat back. All is well . I was ready to love my own again.  Your story of your little girl sounds like ours. Heart, (our cat  home)  here in town knows little about her. She first came to them with her litter of kittens. She was adopted but, came back because, she was bullied by other cats in home. We have had her 6wks  She is so shy it pains me. She is coming along. With me she is becoming very friendly. When hubby comes in room..Boop under the bed. Makes him feel bad. We will not give up but, how long can this last? 
It varies by cat. Most adjust within days or weeks. I had one calico, though.....my first rescue as an adult (got her 2 months after I graduated from college). She was on kitty prozac most of her life, never quite right in the head. She was always super loving with me (except when she was chewing on me), but every man in my life....my father, my (now ex) boyfriend, etc....literally took her years to warm up to them. In fact my ex first took care of her when I took my first job overseas 11 years ago. He had known her and shared a home with her for 4 years, and the first time she gave him the time of day was some 9 months after I went abroad. Just one day jumped up in his lap and head-butted him out of nowhere. After that, they were buds. Only took 5 years. 

Later she moved to my parents house. She'd known my parents for 6 years, took another 3 before she would dole any affection to my father. I rescued her when she was a month old, abandoned in a warehouse. So I had no reason to suspect prior abuse. If your cat is older it's possible she was mistreated by a male figure in the past. But some cats are just a pain in the you-know-what about that. Everything is on THEIR terms. 

juleska

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had to back off any "working" with them as I am very unwell and simply fed, changed litter trays etc. Left them to it. Worked grand.. The only intervention the last few days has been to stop my big boy going out of the door when he comes in and sees the newcomers. They know that they are doing and are very very good at it indeed and it is great fun watching them interact. Such different personalities among our cats! The wee feral girl sidles round my ankles at feeding time but I would not dare try to pet her. That is fine. She and the new boy watch the outdoor lad through the window. Love having a house of cats again!
I'm just catching up to this thread but enjoyed reading about their progress. I am sorry to hear you've been unwell and hope you're doing better now. Thank you for taking them in, they're so lucky to have you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sweetpea7

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

I'm just catching up to this thread but enjoyed reading about their progress. I am sorry to hear you've been unwell and hope you're doing better now. Thank you for taking them in, they're so lucky to have you.
Thank you, It is I who am blessed with these cats! They delight and intrigue me. Never a dull day... I had never had a "real feral" before and watching her is amazing. Will be a great rich winter in this house...