A New Kitten For My Cat...

jdp1886

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We have two cats and two dogs. One of our cats, a 16 pound male named Nylo, wants to play with our other pets A LOT. However, our other cat (female, 8 pounds, Phoenix) and one of our dogs (female, nine pounds, Gage) will not play with him when he tries. They run away. I don't think they're necessarily afraid of him, but he's bigger than them and they don't engage in play. Our other dog (male, 15 pounds, Tony) is just old and doesn't run around much, so he doesn't play with Nylo either. I'm wondering if a kitten would do him good. However, Nylo is six years old, and some websites say that is too old to handle a kitten and not get grouchy occasionally. I also don't want to disrupt the peace in our home...it is very peaceful, and all of our animals get along well, even if they don't engage in play. All of our animals like other cats (in fact, Nylo accepted Phoenix when she came into our home as a stray kitten four years ago with absolutely no problems). I just feel sorry for the poor guy because he tries to play with everyone and no one will! I play with him, but I feel like he wants a little animal interaction. I could be wrong about that, of course. What to do...what to do...any thoughts or suggestions on the matter? Thanks in advance for advice and help.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Since he is a kitty cat (like a people person), he may adjust well to another cat in the house. However, there seems to be a max number, and then it all goes horribly wrong, and that number varies from cat to cat and household to household. You could be just fine, or BOTH the resident cats could go into a tizzy. That's why it is so tricky to advise you. Also, he's a BIG boy, and should you decide to get a kitten to be a companion/playmate to him, make sure the kitten is a good sized animal, as well. And make sure to introduce the newcomer slowly and carefully. We have articles about that, should you need it (sounds like you have it down pat, but they are there).

Best of luck, regardless of your final decision! If you get a new friend for him, be sure to introduce him to us! You know how we are!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jdp1886

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Mamanyt1953 - Thank you for your reply. We are still deciding. It's a big decision! Thanks for your information.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also, he's a BIG boy, and should you decide to get a kitten to be a companion/playmate to him, make sure the kitten is a good sized animal, as well.
I'm with Mamanyt1953 on this one. With him being so big, I wouldn't get a kitten under 5 months. And only if the kitten was on the bigger size.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Would a male cat about the same age work? My boy cat loves to play with other cats, but my female cat gets annoyed by him. When he escaped once, I found him playing with the male cat next door. At the shelter, you could look for a male cat that gets along well with other cats.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm thinking about Quasimodo & Sarah. We had 3 cats and found 2 kittens. One of the cats mothered/mentored the kittens. However our old guy Quasi (?12 years?) HATED the kittens ... until Sarah hit around 6 months. Then they became friends. By the time she was a year old they were best buds and did everything together. So an older cat/younger cat scenario can work. However there are no guarantees.
Is there anyway you can do a foster to adopt? Also at the end of the day, sometimes all you can hope for is peace not friendship. Perhaps adopting a 1 year old might be a good option? Assuming the new cat is socialized you will know the cats personality & size. You can ask for a loves to be held, super playful very confident cat. Some of the feistiest cats I have known have been small. Perhaps your boy plays a little to rough?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Don't forget to let us know what you decide, and how things go! I know that decent, kind fosterers are in short order, so you would be so welcome at shelters!