A New Dog?

Dewey

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello!
My moms friend has been trying to sell some Bernedoodle puppies. She's only had one buyer. My family has been thinking about getting one.

I have been doing resource on how to train it and what to know. It's a mini so it will be smaller and it's also hypoallergenic. My mom has been going off and on about getting one. Sense we have other animals in the house and a cat, but I think with the right introduction with the Cat. I think it will be Ok.

My best friend is also scared of dogs. Even puppies. So I don't really know what to do when she comes over. When we go over to our other friends house, they normally put their dogs in the back yard. So I might do that, but we also have hawks here and I would hate for it to get snatched up by a hawk. Sense it's a small puppy and not a big dog like my friends. So I was thinking I'll probably crate train it.

Sorry if that didn't really make sense. My brain doesn't do organization😂
If anyone has any questions or advice, please let me know! It would be so helpful! Or just experiences with there dog would be great. So I can know what it is like.

Thank you!

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Are these puppies F1's?
I'm a groomer and can tell you the majority of Doodles are very unpredictable with coat type, and their coats do change a lot as they mature so there's no way to know for sure whether or not they will shed or not.
I've met "mini doodles" who top out at 65+/- pounds. I've also met "Mini Aussies" who are the exact same size as Australian Shepherds, so please keep in mind that it's an educated guess how big these guys will get if there are dogs of varying size in their lineage. Sometimes, genetics likes to mess with us. ;)
Bernedoodles are incredibly sweet dogs. Be VERY prepared to pay quite a bit of money, quite often, for grooming. I wouldn't suggest doing it yourself, this coat type is super soft and wonderful to snuggle with, but they mat and tangle very easily. It's very easy for their coats to get out of control if not maintained. I'm not trying to scare you or anything, just giving you my experiences with their coats. :)
We board a Bernadoodle quite often. She just went home on Sunday. I am VERY picky about what types of dogs I would have in my home, but I would take that girl in a heartbeat. She's also very large!

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Since "bernedoodle" is really not a breed yet it's really just a mutt or "hybrid" that you happen to know the mix of. There hasn't been enough generations of bernedoodle to bernedoodle yet to produce the exact same "breed standard" result every single time, though the more generations the more consistent the result from what that breeder is breeding for. So there is no guarantee you will get only the best/desired traits you want or even expect of each breed. I would research both breeds to make sure you can handle the temperament, exercise requirements, fur type, and everything of both breeds, just in case the pup you get ends up being more like one breed then the other. Also with that in mind although most may be hypoallergenic I wouldn't count on it, even in the same litter, just in case that is a deciding factor for choosing that mix.

Aside from that crate training is a great idea, and safer then just leaving the pup outside alone. Just make sure you do it correctly so it's a safe haven and good place to chill out that the pup wants to go to, not punishment. Teaching the puppy to go to the crate or room when guest arrive can be a good thing too, personally I use a baby gate to keep my dogs in the living room until they calm down (you do need to teach them to respect the gate first though!). It helps to teach the dog something proper to do when guests arrive rather then leaving it to them to figure out for itself, which generally results in the pup getting overly excited.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Both of the above members have given you good advice. :thumbsup: I love dogs too and wish I could have cloned our last dog. He was a sweetheart and so intelligent.:redheartpump: I completely agree with crate training. We started that immediately and it really helps to keep the dog safe when you're away from home. When I introduced him to our cat(s) I kept him on his leash since he was a larger breed. I think one of the most beneficial things you can do is take the puppy to training classes once it has the necessary vaccines. That way it can earn it's CGC (Canine Good Citizen). Here's a link to explain: Canine Good Citizen (CGC) – American Kennel Club

amethyst amethyst is correct, i.e. a Bernadoodle is not a purebred because it's a mix of two breeds, a Bernese Mountain Dog and a Poodle. You should also research any medical conditions that are prevalent in the two breeds. However, both breeds are clever and quick learners. Best of luck, please feel free to ask questions and keep us posted. 🤗

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Dewey

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Are these puppies F1's?
I'm a groomer and can tell you the majority of Doodles are very unpredictable with coat type, and their coats do change a lot as they mature so there's no way to know for sure whether or not they will shed or not.
I've met "mini doodles" who top out at 65+/- pounds. I've also met "Mini Aussies" who are the exact same size as Australian Shepherds, so please keep in mind that it's an educated guess how big these guys will get if there are dogs of varying size in their lineage. Sometimes, genetics likes to mess with us. ;)
Bernedoodles are incredibly sweet dogs. Be VERY prepared to pay quite a bit of money, quite often, for grooming. I wouldn't suggest doing it yourself, this coat type is super soft and wonderful to snuggle with, but they mat and tangle very easily. It's very easy for their coats to get out of control if not maintained. I'm not trying to scare you or anything, just giving you my experiences with their coats. :)
We board a Bernadoodle quite often. She just went home on Sunday. I am VERY picky about what types of dogs I would have in my home, but I would take that girl in a heartbeat. She's also very large!
Thank you! Is there a way for at home grooming. And how would you do it?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Dewey

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Both of the above members have given you good advice. :thumbsup: I love dogs too and wish I could have cloned our last dog. He was a sweetheart and so intelligent.:redheartpump: I completely agree with crate training. We started that immediately and it really helps to keep the dog safe when you're away from home. When I introduced him to our cat(s) I kept him on his leash since he was a larger breed. I think one of the most beneficial things you can do is take the puppy to training classes once it has the necessary vaccines. That way it can earn it's CGC (Canine Good Citizen). Here's a link to explain: Canine Good Citizen (CGC) – American Kennel Club

amethyst amethyst is correct, i.e. a Bernadoodle is not a purebred because it's a mix of two breeds, a Bernese Mountain Dog and a Poodle. You should also research any medical conditions that are prevalent in the two breeds. However, both breeds are clever and quick learners. Best of luck, please feel free to ask questions and keep us posted. 🤗
Thank you so much! This helps a lot.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thank you! Is there a way for at home grooming. And how would you do it?
The start up costs are going to be high. You'll need a grooming table/arm, a high velocity forced air dryer, shampoos, brushes, combs, clippers, blades, and guard combs. Shearers are expensive and understanding what blades to use where is important (for instance, you do NOT want to use something like a #4 or #5 blade on danger areas, which are the tuck up, stifle, armpits, under the ears, etc, as you can easily cut them.) Make absolutely sure you know where the fur meets the skin at all times or you could easily cut your puppy. I would recommend looking at some grooming groups on facebook (I'm on the one on reddit, btw!) as well as watching videos and reading books on it.
I do caution people against starting puppies on their own, because working on a wiggly puppy with sharp objects is not easy. If you can find a good groomer you're comfortable with, they will more than likely suggest a bath and tidy at a young age to get them used to the sound/feel of clippers (without cutting much coat at all), as well as learning what a table is, learning what dryers are, etc. Keeping your puppy on a schedule will help them learn what to do and make them a joy for you and any groomer to work on.
I groom two sister Doodles. The breeder, and owners, knew what they were doing when sensitizing them to grooming. At 12 weeks, they both knew what dryers were (on low), they were good for nail trims, brushing, and had already heard and felt clippers all over their bodies, faces, ears, etc. They're 5 now and are SO good for me.