A New Behavior

pi-pi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've had my wonderful little Pi-Pi inside the house now for one year. He was a little black stray who came to me in the summer of 2014. He was about seven months old when he first came into my yard. When he was neutered that September they told me he was about 10 months old. So now he's about 2 years old. He's a sweet little guy and gets along very well with my 6 year old Shih Tzu Happy. They both like to sleep with me and early in the morning Pi has taken to cuddling next to me in the fold of my arm. Within the past two weeks he's started a new behavior and I'm not sure what it's all about. He will be lying there when all of a sudden he gets up, straddles my arm, puts his mouth on it but doesn't actually bite. He wraps his front legs tightly around my arm to hold it and he starts stomping on it with his back paws almost like kneading but with the back paws. His nails are sharp (sometimes he lets me trim them) so it hurts. And he stomps hard! When I say "NO Pi-Pi" he's good and stops, but reluctantly, and always with a little distressed sound. Anyone know what could be causing this? I've seen him knead his bedding but this is different.

Last edited:

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is the new behavior cuddling with you?  I would wonder if he is cold and finds your body heat nice and warm! 

One of the ferals I brought inside also sleeps right up next to my body.  When I need to roll over, I have to pick him up and move him, within seconds he is back cuddled up against me.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pi-pi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is the new behavior cuddling with you?  I would wonder if he is cold and finds your body heat nice and warm! 

One of the ferals I brought inside also sleeps right up next to my body.  When I need to roll over, I have to pick him up and move him, within seconds he is back cuddled up against me.
Hi Shadow! No the new behavior is the stomping with back paws and mouthing.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He is using your arm as a toy and pretend killing it.  You most likely want this behavior to stop.  If you ever use your hands or arms to play with  a cat they associate your body parts as toys.  Most likely your arm is moving or has moved under the covers and he see it has something to play with.  He "hunts" your arm and now is wrapping it up and using his back legs to kill it! 

You should try to redirect with a toy or remove him when he does this to your body parts.  My cat uses a 8" pink bear.  He loves to carry it around and then "kills" it.  He has done this for years.  Much better on a stuffed toy instead of your arm.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pi-pi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He is using your arm as a toy and pretend killing it.  You most likely want this behavior to stop.  If you ever use your hands or arms to play with  a cat they associate your body parts as toys.  Most likely your arm is moving or has moved under the covers and he see it has something to play with.  He "hunts" your arm and now is wrapping it up and using his back legs to kill it! 

You should try to redirect with a toy or remove him when he does this to your body parts.  My cat uses a 8" pink bear.  He loves to carry it around and then "kills" it.  He has done this for years.  Much better on a stuffed toy instead of your arm.
WOW! I think you are right because the stomping is NOT gentle! Thanks, I'll keep a toy handy to give him when he does this. Sure feels like he's trying to kill my arm! I had thought it was some kind of misguided nursing behavior. He will sometimes do this at night if I'm sitting in bed with my iPad. He will be in his bed (see photo) and he will start kneading the bed. Then he gets a weird, zoned out look in his eyes. After a bit he walks over to me, grabs my arm, and does the stomping thing.

Here they are in their beds on the other side of my large bed.

Last edited:

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Very sweet photo!  I have a small cat bed in my bed as well.  It is right between the pillows at the top of the bed.  Unfortunately the kitty likes to sleep snuggled up with me instead!  It's not all bad except when I get really hot from having him right next to me.  I try to place him beside my husband who is always cold, but Mr. Marvin only wants to sleep with Mommy.

Hopefully a stuffed toy will do the trick.  It's so funny to watch them pretend kill their toys. 

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:lol3: I just found this thread, and wondered if it was mating behaviour. At least you know he loves you.... :bigwink:

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Glad you found an article that describes the behavior.  I bet it will diminish in time if you try to redirect the behavior.