A neverending urinary battle?

xcourtney3

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well, for those of you who helped with my last questions, it seems that Simba's problems are back again.

He started acting strangely, and this time I caught it immediately. He was drinking excessively and going to the box way too often without urinating. Took him to the vet today and they did the urinalysis and he has a UTI. They offered either pills 2x a day or a shot, and I opted for the Convenia shot because I didn't think Simba would take well to taking the pills. I have to bring him back in two weeks to recheck his urine.

I'm wondering if this is going to become a chronic problem. It just seems weird to have two urinary problems in such a short amount of time. Not sure what to do now, guess I just wait

I'm also curious if there's a particular litter I would need to use for a cat with urinary problems? I'm using the Dr. Elsey's senior formula right now because it controls odor amazingly, but it's too dusty. (for reference, Simba's not a senior)

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Okay I do not like silica litter s which is what the senior is if I remember right...

Does he have any type of crystals ?> or is it Just bacterial?>

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

xcourtney3

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He had crystals last time. She said it was just bacterial right now, but I haven't seen the lab results for myself yet.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
what are you feeding and has it changed from the last time

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't catch your other threads, what's he eating?
And pills aren't that bad! They're incredibly easy to pop down a cat's throat once you know how to do it and if they'll eat them (and can) pill pockets make it even easier.

xcourtney3

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Last time he was eating Natural Balance Green Pea and Duck dry, supplemented with the canned version.

Now he is on mostly canned (Wellness, Authority, Instinct), supplemented with some dry if I'm gone for a while during the day.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
likely at least for a bit he needs to be on RX urinary food

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had one on the NB duck and pea that got crystals, too. As sharky may point out, that can be a problem for some cats.

Your current foods are good foods, but it may be that you need to try him on a urinary script food for a bit. They come in wet and dry if you want to provide both.
My crystal kitty eats Hills C/D and hasn't had a problem since the initial partial block. ...Just a warning though, that C/D canned, if you try it, is funky looking and smelling!

xcourtney3

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think if I had to go with the RX it would have to be dry. Simba's extremely picky with canned food, and I think he would probably shun the canned. After Simba's first episode I switched to canned in hopes of avoiding the RX route, but it's starting to look inevitable. I think the vet may recommend RX at the recheck.

What are your thoughts on the different brands of RX/Urinary foods? (Royal Canin, Hill's, Hi Tor, etc)

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've only used Hills, so that's the only brand I have experience with. But, if your kitty is picky about wet food nothing says you have to buy a whole case - trying one can is enough. You'd be out all of $1.50 at the most if he won't eat it.

I do know Mars does positive release (no shipping it to consumers until it passes tests) on all their foods, though. If I could get it without ordering it I would prefer RC.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No first hand experience( my vet carries NO Rx foods anymore, when she did she carried Royal Canin) ... But it seems Royal canin is tasty

snickerdoodle

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry if I missed it or already asked, but is Simba a long hair kitty? Just curious. Am sorry he is having these troubles again. I hope the crystals are not coming back.

xcourtney3

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
No, he has very thick short-medium fur

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Beeba was on Natural Balance original when he came down with struvites. Now on c/d dry and all is well.

Your kitty is beautiful.

xcourtney3

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Aw, thanks
Everyone tells me my Simba is gorgeous. Luck of the draw, I guess. Considering he was abandoned by his semi-feral calico mother in my roof last winter.
This is his sister

I have heard countless success stories for RX urinary foods. I guess we'll see which direction I need to head.

Also, does anyone know is urine sample size has anything to do with whether or not crystals are found? ie: if the sample is too small, is it possible crystals could still be present without being noticed? Or is that the sort of thing that would generally show up regardless?

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They do not need a large quantity of urine.

Your vet needs to send the urine sample to a lab to have cultures grown and to positively identify what type of crystals Simba is forming.

A prescription diet is really the only answer, especially for males, who can block so easily (a urinary tract blockage is fatal if not treated within 24 hours)

Mazy is on Hills Prescription c/d. Wellness, in my experience, is not good, in fact terrible, for cats with FLUTD (feline lower urinary tract disease)

Simba needs to be on a special diet, for life.

Simba, keep us posted.

xcourtney3

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Are UTIs the predecessor to crystals/blockage?

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
UTI (Urinary Tract Infection) and crystals in the urine are two separate problems, that often go hand in hand.

A UTI is treated with antibiotics. Crystals have to be treated with diet.

A cat can get a UTI from many things, too much washing, dirty litter box (not saying yours are) stress, kidney problems, or crystals to name a few.

Crystals are caused by an improper balance in the urine, the pH too high or too low, not drinking enough water, or the cat is prone to forming them, it's in his or her genetic make up or stress, to name a few.

When a cat has repeat UTIs the vet needs to look further. A cat forming crystals may get bacterial infections because he's always running to the litter box, straining, and washing, the irritation alone can cause bacteria to form.

Has Simba had blood work?

But a cat can have crystals with no UTI or a UTI with no crystals, that's why the lab work is so important.

A blockage can happen because a male cat's urethra is so narrow. Even excessive irritation can cause the urinary tract to swell enough to block (inflammation). Or stones, or a group crystals, or mucus, can cause the blockage. Emergency catherization is needed at that point, and ia blockage is terribly terribly painful.

Some cases can be managed by putting the cat on a canned only diet, and adding water to the canned food, the more water the better. But most cats will need a special diet all their lives.

I am not a vet, these are just my unscientific conclusions from doing my own research, since I have a female who forms crystals. I've tried many diets for her, but Prescription food is the only thing that keeps her crystal free.