A milestone Gotcha Day for Lazlo!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm still having bandwidth issues after the move to the new RV site, so I can't post pictures. BUT we can all have a laugh, because instead of posting pictures, I'm posting a link - to when we first rescued Lazlo, our first indoor-only rescue baby boy. Man-oh-man did we know NOTHING about cats! :flail:

As anyone on a desktop can see, I joined TCS in June of 2002. My first thread was in the ferals forum, June 28. Our dilemma? Feral kittens had turned up in the yard. We'd been caring for a stray, Booger (I first called her Rocki on the forums because I didn't think "Booger" was a name people who loved cats so much would appreciate. :flail: ) for a year - but she preferred the outdoors.

As soon as we were aware of the kittens and mum, we started feeding them. As the vet declared Lazlo to be 8 or 9 weeks old when we brought him inside, the kittens must have been 4 or 5 weeks old when we started putting out food for the family. Mom (not Booger! We'd taken her to be spayed over the winter so there wouldn't be kittens, and discovered she already was spayed) had chosen an unused groundhog den in the woods behind our home as her nest. She launched our TNR work, and ultimately 4 of those 5 kittens wound up living inside with us (in order after Lazlo: Sheldon, Spooky, then Tuxedo). Laz is a brown mackerel tabby; Spooky is a McTorbie (Tortoiseshell Mackerel Tabby); Shel and Tux are B&W tuxedo kitties. One of the vet techs adopted the other kitty, a long haired red tabby. (Where did THAT come from? :lol3: We've never TNRd a long haired cat here. Julius has been the only long-haired cat in 11 years of TNR. :dk: ).

Well, on the 4th of July, the family disappeared, leaving Lazlo behind. I'm sure they left him because he was a noisy kitten. Mom never was able to teach him to be quiet. He cried outside for 2 days, and at the encouragement of TCS members helping me, we brought him in and adopted him. :D The kittens were so cute, we had trouble thinking of any of them as males. :dk: :lol3: Turns out four of the five were male. ;)

The beginning of our odyssey: http://www.thecatsite.com/t/9471/scared-cat-what-do-we-do

So why is 11 years a milestone? Because at the end of this month, two years ago, Lazlo was diagnosed with cancer. He had a "massive mass" in his stomach. Biopsy determined it was large cell lymphoma. He had lost a lot of weight in the month it took to diagnose him properly, and the mass was so large and so fused into the lining of his stomach wall that his only option was chemotherapy or palliative care. With palliative care, he was given maybe four weeks to live.

We had to at least give chemo a try. And thank goodness we did. We feel so very, very fortunate that he responded so well to the treatments. There were ups and downs, but overall, he just felt better and better. He began treatments within days of the diagnosis. His last treatment was January of 2012. I was terrified of the ultrasound in February. I nearly crushed our vet (she's a wee thing!) to death with the hug she got when she came out to announce his cancer was in complete remission. The entire vet staff was whooping and hollering. :D

Happy 11th Gotcha Day, Lazlo! :clap: :clap: :party4:

Last edited:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OH LAURIE!!!!! :flail: :lol3: I totally enjoyed reading your first thread on Lazlo as a kitten. What a beautiful beginning of something wonderful in your and Gary's life. Just incredible and look where you are today!!!!!!!!!! :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap: :high5: :heart3: Having saved SOOOOOOO many lives in the last 11 years. An awesome, prodigious, marvelous, beautiful, sometimes surprising :lol3: and sometimes heartbreaking :sniffle:, AND STUPENDOUS journey you have been on AND will continue to be on for as many years as life has in store (and I am sure there are many, many more to come - MANY MANY MORE MILESTONES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) :heart2: :sun: :hugs: I am WHOOPING and HOLLERING too over Lazlo's miraculous turnaround.... CAN YOU HEAR ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol2:

:party: :woohoo: :jump: :woo: :party: :bicolor: :heart3: :rub: [COLOR=#BLUE]LAZLO!!!!!!!!!!!!! OH LAZLO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is a miraculous and special day. The BEST OF THE BEST of GOTCHA DAYS!!!!!!!! [/COLOR] :heart2: :balloon: :sun: :clap: :bigthumb: :lovegrin: :happy3: :lovegrin2: :dance: :high5:

:heart3: :heart3: :heart3: :heart3: :heart3: :heart3: :heart3: :heart3::heart3: :heart3: :heart3: :heart3:[COLOR=#BROWN] Way To Go, Lazlo!!!!!!!!!!! Keep on Keepin' On!!!! [/COLOR]:heart3: :heart3: :heart3: :heart3::heart3: :heart3: :heart3: :heart3::heart3: :heart3: :heart3: :heart3:

p.s. Julius must be a very special kitty - a long-haired red tabby! :lol3: Do you ever hear how he is doing?? ;)

Last edited:

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
That's definitely a milestone to celebrate. Happy Gotcha Day, Lazlo, and many, many happy returns!

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
Laurie - I'm in your camp - the raw has probably played the biggest role in maintaining his health.  

I really appreciate your contributions here, as well as personally when I've needed the help for my cat family.  

I'm so happy for Lazio's Gotcha Day, and celebrate with you!

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Happy Gotcha Day Lazlo! Blatting all over the key board in happiness for you! :heart3:

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LAZLO!!!!!!!!!!!!! OH LAZLO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is a miraculous and special day. The BEST OF THE BEST of GOTCHA DAYS!!!!!!!!
:

Way To Go, Lazlo!!!!!!!!!!! Keep on Keepin' On!!!!

p.s. Julius must be a very special kitty - a long-haired red tabby!
Do you ever hear how he is doing??
LOL  Anything I say after reading that seems so inferior!  So I'm just going to shout out a huge big DITTO!!

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That was a great back story for me to read since I haven't been here long enough to know all of it.

Happy Gotcha Lazlo and many more happy healthy years with the family who loves you so.

From one Laurie, to another 

barbb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yay I'm so happy for you and little Laz! He is so beautiful and he deserves his long life, the same as you and Gary deserve such a wonderful little boy :-)

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LOL  Anything I say after reading that seems so inferior!  So I'm just going to shout out a huge big DITTO!!
:flail: she always makes me feel this way :crackup:
I might as well wait for Lauren to post and say...................................... :yeah:

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Lazlo, I love you with all my :heart3: And I am SO SO glad you are beating all the odds little man!! :clap::clap::clap::clap:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Aw, thanks. :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

Lazlo's already extra spoiled :lol3: but we managed to spoil him even more on his day. :D