A lucky one

mkatjp

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I went to see a doctor by bicycle today - I like cycling, even if I have go a long way.
I passed a plastic bag and thought I heard a bird. 10-20 meters later, I thought "no, that was no bird". I turned around and investigated.
In the plastic bag was a kitten, apparently thrown away - like trash.
They eyes were OK, it didn't hiss, it closed the eyes and stopped crying when I stroke it. That points to it living with people before.
It just was soaked wet because it was raining. But I think he was not sitting there for a long time.

It was a difficult situation, I have already 4 in my (own) apartment - only two are allowed (but who cares).
My wife would start hissing if I bring another one.
And I had an appointment 40 minutes later.

It was a rural area with a few farmhouses sprinkled around. I visited 2 where I saw cats and the owners said "thanks but no thanks". Fortunately, the second farmer said, you see the house over there, he likes cats very much. So, it was - I could convince him in less than 5 minutes that he needed that little one.

Fortunately, because this evening it will rain a lot - prediction: up to 10 inches. He would have not survived this downpour.

Mission accomplished and I was at the doctor's in time.
No photos, I forgot my phone at home - tomorrow, I am going to visit the new owner to thank him again. I will take a photo as a memory.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh that is so great! You were at the right time and place to be a kitty hero! Bless your heart.

We will look forward to future updates about the lucky little one.

CatJ

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I went to see a doctor by bicycle today - I like cycling, even if I have go a long way.
I passed a plastic bag and thought I heard a bird. 10-20 meters later, I thought "no, that was no bird". I turned around and investigated.
In the plastic bag was a kitten, apparently thrown away - like trash.
They eyes were OK, it didn't hiss, it closed the eyes and stopped crying when I stroke it. That points to it living with people before.
It just was soaked wet because it was raining. But I think he was not sitting there for a long time.

It was a difficult situation, I have already 4 in my (own) apartment - only two are allowed (but who cares).
My wife would start hissing if I bring another one.
And I had an appointment 40 minutes later.

It was a rural area with a few farmhouses sprinkled around. I visited 2 where I saw cats and the owners said "thanks but no thanks". Fortunately, the second farmer said, you see the house over there, he likes cats very much. So, it was - I could convince him in less than 5 minutes that he needed that little one.

Fortunately, because this evening it will rain a lot - prediction: up to 10 inches. He would have not survived this downpour.

Mission accomplished and I was at the doctor's in time.
No photos, I forgot my phone at home - tomorrow, I am going to visit the new owner to thank him again. I will take a photo as a memory.
Lucky for him! And for you.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
That's a great story mkatjp mkatjp Thank you for stopping to help this little one.

I see that you're in Japan. I'm in Japan too, in Yamanashi. Maybe not far from you. There are a lot of feral cats around, aren't there? If you need help finding rescues to help rehome kittens or spay and neuter feral cats let me know. In some places it's even free to get cats spayed if you know where to ask.

;)

CatJ

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That's a great story mkatjp mkatjp Thank you for stopping to help this little one.

I see that you're in Japan. I'm in Japan too, in Yamanashi. Maybe not far from you. There are a lot of feral cats around, aren't there? If you need help finding rescues to help rehome kittens or spay and neuter feral cats let me know. In some places it's even free to get cats spayed if you know where to ask.

;)
Matsudo has such a program, but it seems only if you return them to the wild, which requires a notch cut out of their ear to alert the animal control officers. We are looking for homes for our rescues.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Do you have any Animal Friendship centers near you? I think they are called 動物愛護センター (Maybe that's not the correct kanji, Japanese isn't my first language.)

The ones in Yamanashi will take kittens that are young enough to be socialized and rehomed. With older feral cats it's not always possible or appropriate for the cats to place them in homes, but the younger ones stand a good chance.

I've also rehomed kittens through Cat Cafes such as 猫カフェ Hako bu necoとは…

Do you have a lot of rescues C CatJ ?

CatJ

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just the 4 we currently have. The family moved in to our neighbor’s yards and after many trials and tribulations, we caught all but one. I am now a member of our local cat rescue group. Have people coming over on Monday to see them. None can take them home with yet, but want to see them.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Oh, that's great! I hope the homes you have for them all work out,

I currently have 20, all permanent residents. My last lot of foster kittens all found nice homes through the cat cafe I linked above

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mkatjp

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the offer and the hint with the 動物愛護センター. There is one nearby, in Tomisato (Chiba). They have a mail service, so I might want to contact them regarding the increasing number at the Narita station. This is due to the free-roaming tomcat of a nearby restaurant.
I am not sure if I should, however, as I heard that all cats just have 3 months before being killed. I have never heard of a no-kill-shelter in Japan. Need to confirm this before.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
If you call your local 保健所 they'll tell you what their policy is towards feral cats. Some prefectures have a spay and release program, others try to get cats into homes, some do euthanize cats that are considered impossible to socialize. There's no harm in asking and finding out exactly what your town does. No need to give them your name or details about where the cats are.

Also, call your local vets and see if they know of anyone who can help. There's a lady who runs a rescue out of her 別荘 in my town. She doesn't advertise, but the vets know her because they help her treat the cats.

https://www.arkbark.net/en/about/tokyoark/ are No Kill, but they ask you to pay a fee if you surrender a cat to them.

But call or e-mail and ask, there might be rescues you've never heard of that any of these people could put you in touch with. It's good to have a network.

:)