A Lot Of (still) Newbie Questions

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
DB4489D4-74C2-4AD1-AAD4-7F81712E5D93.jpeg
You should probably keep a big bag of dry food for when you run out of food

I’m aware this may not be the greatest as it has seafood and potatoes but I see it’s the only dry food Shaman will eat. Not going to buy it all the time but as suggested I will keep this on hand for emergencies such as last night.

WoodstockGirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
View attachment 288681

I’m aware this may not be the greatest as it has seafood and potatoes but I see it’s the only dry food Shaman will eat. Not going to buy it all the time but as suggested I will keep this on hand for emergencies such as last night.
When I first got cats, I went out and bought the most expensive high quality food I could find.

They wouldn't touch it. But they love Fancy Feast and Friskies...so that's what they get.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Shaman is the only picky eater of the ones I feed. The others don't care and will eat whatever I put out but Shaman will eat something once and then not touch it again. I really have no idea what to do with her. She's costing me a fortune that I don't have just to find something she'll stay with

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
Our Gohan is like that. We are discovering he doesn’t like his leftover food cold, so now we warm it up. I’m sure Shaman has rules, and it will work out once you learn them.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
That does not apply to Shaman. If she eats it one time she turns her nose up at it again, whether cold, warmed up, wet food on top and so on. Like I"ve been saying this entire thread I'm at wits end trying to please her. I have switched brands, flavors etc so many times and it's costing me $50 a week or more trying to find something that she'll eat. And sadly since I won't have a car for another month I'm at the mercy of Prime Now as Mom throws fits about the other delivery services (and I have that long post about her).

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
One day she likes old food that they've been picking on throughout the day. After that she'll turn her nose up at it and shoot me daggers and will never go back to that again.

WoodstockGirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
One day she likes old food that they've been picking on throughout the day. After that she'll turn her nose up at it and shoot me daggers and will never go back to that again.
This is probably a dumb question, but have you tried different textures? My tortie will not eat pate or classic cat food--it has to be chunks, shreds, or filets. It doesn't matter how you dress it up. She won't touch it. I have another that will eat chunky or classic but not shreds.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
Could it be something environmental disturbing her? Gohan would be turned off his wet food when people walked by our window having a conversation at a reasonable volume.

Is it possible Shaman gets food elsewhere? With our indoor cats they get suuuuper picky with what they will eat if we had dry food out for a bit.

WoodstockGirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Could it be something environmental disturbing her? Gohan would be turned off his wet food when people walked by our window having a conversation at a reasonable volume.

Is it possible Shaman gets food elsewhere? With our indoor cats they get suuuuper picky with what they will eat if we had dry food out for a bit.
I was thinking, too, that some cats are so picky that even the color of the dish will turn them off.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise

Shaman stays in my yard 24/7. Constantly on cam so no food elsewhere. I have tried every trxture. She’s just a very difficult cat.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Shaman most definitely does no hunting. She runs scared if a bird lands near her. Treasure is the only one of the bunch that attempts to hunt although never caught anything. I have tried wet, gravies, freshpet (which she loves but I have no way of keeping cold) pates, mousse, and nothing. She seems to have issues chewing is what the main issue is as I watched her licking the dry food but again she will do that one meal and then it's back to turning up her nose and giving the evil eye. She's known me the longest and yet the most skittish. She will not even let me touch her even though I can put my hand less than an inch away. So no way of even catching her to have her go to vet to rule out medical issues.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Meh. If she's hungry she'll eat what you give her. It's not like anyone else in the neighborhood is feeding her anything better.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
She's the only one out of all the cats that is "picky". The others eat what I put out. Can a cat eat dry food with only one tooth? Especially an outdoor cat? She sees Treasure eat as seldom does the one come to the food bowl without the other one. I don't use a lot of dry food but I do try to use some to fill them up faster and make the food last longer

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, cats with no teeth can still eat dry food. It's only when their mouth is sore that they have trouble. Once it's healed they don't have any problems.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, cats with no teeth can still eat dry food. It's only when their mouth is sore that they have trouble. Once it's healed they don't have any problems.
No way for me to even see if she has gum problems for the not being able to catch her issue.