a little worried...I figured I'd see if some of you have experienced this before

Status
Not open for further replies.

mandypine

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, my cat Howie (who just turned a year old three months ago) has been quite strange these last few days. Especially after I noticed that out of nowhere his bones were starting to appear (especially his hip bones which have worried me).

At first I thought it was just a growth spurt as I have read that some cats can go through them around the first year mark, so I just passed it off. But today has me all kinds of worried and I am not sure if I am just over doing it or if I should make an appointment. 

I saw him drink some water so I don't think he's dehydrated. The other day I watched him eat a few bites of his dry cat food (maybe just one bite) but two times today I've seen him smell his cat food and he gagged. He looks very boney and thin and all he's done today is sleep. 

His nose is dry and he had some black boogers that I took a warm towel and wiped up for him. He just seems so lethargic like he just wants to be left alone. Normally he's all up in my arms cuddling and having to be around me but I will find him hiding off in random spots as if he doesn't want to be seen. Then I will find him sun bathing by the window--so I don't know if I'm overreacting.

Whatever insight you have or if this has happened to your cat please share with me...I'm thinking it might just be a cold as I've had that happen with my other cat a few years ago but I don't have the funds yet to take him to the vet...but I'm extremely worried.

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You're not overreacting. Go with your gut instincts! You sense something is not right, and it certainly sounds like Howie is not himself. He really should see a vet. It is very serious if he's not eating or eating very little.

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am sorry to hear that Howie is not feeling well. All of the symptoms you describe all strongly suggest that he is sick especially because they are new behaviors. The weight loss is really concerning, and if he is not eating much, he is at risks of developing fatty liver disease which can be fatal if left untreated. I really think he needs a vet visit as soon as possible.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mandypine

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes I'm going to call them tomorrow morning and see about getting him seen. I did give him some of the hairball medicine just a while ago and he was licking that up, he just seems either depressed or just not well. He walks into the kitchen and everything and he looks fine it's just I've noticed he seems boney. He is one of those cats who can eat like a horse one day and then not eat for hours the next. So I don't know what it is, he has grown significantly since June, I mean... I measured him in May because I was thinking he wasn't growing at all because he still had all kitten features, (small face, short little body, short tail) then in July it was like one morning I noticed his tail was quite long, his kitten slope from his nose (the kitten side profile slope if you get what I mean) was gone. I measured him and he had grown 2 inches...so I'm thinking it's a growth spurt and his body is trying to catch up---so that is why I think he looks like he's lost so much weight, it's just for the last two days he's been odd about food, and it was just today that I've seen him gag. BUT...I'm going to contact the vet tomorrow and ask about making an appointment and hopefully they'll let me pay the bill when I get paid next friday because I can't sit around and wonder.

I just figured a lot of you might have had this experience before--with my older cat it was similar but his growth spurt happened gradually not just over night like Howie has. BUT I'll keep you all updated, he's playing around with my older cat now so he seems like he's alright at least for now anyhow and I'm okay with that!

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You say he LOOKS boney, but how does he feel when you pet him?  Can you FEEL his bones easily?  Normally you cannot really feel them, particularly along their spine or their hips.

Have you heard of Care Credit?  It's like a credit card for pet care at a pretty low interest rate (so I'm led to believe)  Here is a link to their site:  http://www.carecredit.com/vetmed/

mandypine

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
OH yes I have the care credit card but it expired because I never had to use it--I'm going to recheck that site out, and ring the vet tomorrow and take him up there and just explain the situation. He looks as boney as he feels. His coat isn't as clean as it usually is either--he just seems so...not interested in anything just wanting to sleep. I don't know if he's used the litter box at all but I'm sure he has at some point. He's been drinking water and even ate a few bites of soft food that I bought him. But he keeps swallowing like he's having some difficulty. He's not vomiting or anything and when I go to sleep at night he jumps up on the bed to cuddle and he goes to sleep--he still purrs and all that...I just don't know what it is, if it's a growth spurt or if he's always been skinny and I've just really noticed it because of the growth spurt--because as I've said he's grown overnight.

I called the vet and got the receptionist, I told her his symptoms and she said as long as he's not vomiting and is trying to eat it could be that he might have a cold or something. I'm going to call the vet in the morning though again to get him seen...for sure.

He did though eat some soft food, not a lot, he licked it mostly, then while laying down I brought him a plate of it and mashed it up and he took a few bites. Normally he is all about eating and he just didn't seem interested. He has drank water too.

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unless the receptionist is a licensed veterinarian, she is not qualified to tell you what is wrong with your cat and discourage Howie from seeing the doctor! When you call back in the morning, if they again blow it off like it's nothing, I would immediately look for another vet.

Clearly there is something going on with Howie, especially since he's not interested in food. Just a few weeks ago, I mistook my Sebastian for being an out-of-the-norm picky eater, when it was really the onset of pancreatitis and he had to be hospitalized for three days and took him two weeks to recover.

mandypine

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
no no the receptionist IS a licensed vet as well--everyone who works there is licensed. She just said she couldn't say for sure because she hadn't worked with him before (as he has a specific vet) so she suggested the soft food and if he refused to eat the soft food then to bring him in but if he makes the attempt then it could mean he's just sick with a cold and to bring him in anyways for some medicine.

I don't think Howie would have anything too serious, he's an inside cat and always has been. When I found him he had a cold but got over it because he passed it onto my older cat--he has the symptoms that Moss (my older cat) had a few years ago so I'm thinking it's possibly a cold, it's just different personalities I guess because Moss was up in my face telling me he was sick and Howie is just sort of lounging around. But, I'm calling a different vet right now to see about getting him seen now since the other play is closed for the evening!

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, okay...I see.

All three of mine are strictly indoors, as well, but they all have a slew of medical issues.

Well, I do hope Howie doesn't have a serious issue, and that he's back to normal soon. Please keep us posted on how the vet visit goes.

Oh, and about Howie being bony. You could do the "rib test." When he is standing up on all four feet facing away from you, run your fingertips along his rib cage with just a little pressure (not hard). How defined are his ribs? Can you feel every one without much padding?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Well, if you can't get in today, try putting him in the bathroom with the shower running on HOT to get it steamy in there.  Also, try heating up the food so it's stinky.  Not HOT, just warm.  I use a little hot water to stir into the canned food to bring out the smell. 

mandypine

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
HI! Okay, update, but first to answer a few questions:

The Rib Test: Howie has always been sort of skinny, when I found him he was a homeless dumpster kitten just a few months old and he was very boney. You COULD feel his ribs just as bad as you could see them. But after being with me for all these months he gained a lot of weight--he was 2lbs when I found him. Now, since being sick his ribs were badly exposed--not eating for two days did a great number on him. (and by not eating I mean, fully eating). Anyways, so I did the rib test just now and it's not as bad as it was a few days ago.

As for the hot shower thing, the other day (day after vet visit)  I was taking a shower and he came into the bathroom and laid on the toilet seat (the most active I've seen him since taking him to the vet) I shut the door and put the shower on hot so it steamed up--because I remember being told that the hot steam would help if they're congested. He stayed in there a while and just looked better.

OKAY.. so update, I couldn't take the worrying anymore and called around to places that would  take a walk in and accept the care credit card--found a place and was able to go in right then and there...I told the lab techs his symptoms, and since he isn't throwing up or anything crucial they couldn't really tell what was wrong with him. He did have a fever though. The vet also felt around and checked his breathing, he was a little wheezy. It was pretty sad though because for a kitten who normally would react to a room of dogs (in regards to a silent hiss because he's not a very vocal kitten when it comes to that, now when it comes to food it's a different story--thus why I have been so worried about his eating). Anyways he just laid in his kennel and wasn't bothered about the puppies in the room.

So, back to the examination. The vet couldn't really tell if anything was serious or if it was minor with him. Since all he did was gag at the hard food but he has drank some water and even a bit of soft food he wasn't sure what it could be. Because Howie wasn't throwing up or nothing was coming out while he gagged he couldn't tell if he had a cold, or just got over a cold, or was getting an upper resp. infection or not....he felt around and did the hydration thing (where he pulls the skin on the back of his neck to see the elastic reaction) and it retracted well. Pretty much since Howie has had a fever that has been the source of him not wanting to eat as much or really not do a whole lot except for sleep. So, they gave him a shot with a steroid in it to help reduce his fever---then they gave me antibiotics to give him twice daily to help with any kind of infection...pretty much for five days.

Since bringing him back from the vet he has seem to be a little better. He is moving around (though his revealing hip bones still break my heart :(  he has been trying to drink a lot more and has slept a bit. Yesterday was the first day in about four days that he jumped up on the bed by himself to come cuddle and let me rub his belly. It didn't last very long before he retreated back to his spot on top of the dresser.

I am on day two of giving him his meds and am set to give him his second pill by around 6pm...but this morning I found him on top of the couch by the front windows (instead of hiding) and I've seen him drink from the water bowl twice...so it's progress...I haven't seen him eat really anything, but I've seen him drink a few times. He followed me to the kitchen and meowed as if he were hungry so I tried the soft food again and nothing...but at least he's drinking which is a plus.

Thank you all so much for your replies and for pretty much reading my long post and for giving me some great advice AND MORE SO REMINDING me of the Care Credit card!! That was really not just a life saver for me but for my Howie!

Other than that I've had to keep Howie separated from Moscow because Moss at first kept doing that hissing thing because Howie went to the vet--not the first, but Moss is finally over that. He is just trying to rough play with him, by that I'm referring to the whole biting of the neck and the back feet kick play or the batting of the face with his front paws and Howie just isn't in the mood as anyone who has ever been sick isn't when someone wants to play around. So keeping them apart has been another lovely adventure. But overall, I'm hoping for tomorrow to be another better day. Today hasn't been too bad, yesterday was depressing but not as horrible as the day before....but alas...we'll get better!

Last edited:

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the update. If every day is better than the last, then that is progress.

However, if Howie is not eating or not meeting his required daily caloric intake, he'll need to be assist fed immediately or he runs the risk of hepatic lipidosis (fatty liver disease). This can start to develop within 48 hours of not eating. Did the vet talk to you about this? From your first post, it seems it has already been over two days.

Also, how come the vet didn't do blood work? A blood panel can really help figure out what may be going on.

Sending many good vibes your way.

franksmom

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks for the update. If every day is better than the last, then that is progress.

However, if Howie is not eating or not meeting his required daily caloric intake, he'll need to be assist fed immediately or he runs the risk of hepatic lipidosis (fatty liver disease). This can start to develop within 48 hours of not eating. Did the vet talk to you about this? From your first post, it seems it has already been over two days.

Also, how come the vet didn't do blood work? A blood panel can really help figure out what may be going on.

Sending many good vibes your way.

Agree 100 percent! You will need to start syringe feeding and I am not impressed the vet let you go home with a cat who hasn't been eating. Here is a very helpful thread on how to do it and believe me it is not as bad as it sounds (http://www.thecatsite.com/t/227858/syringe-feeding-lucky-video-if-your-cat-is-not-eating). I would also call the vet back and ask for cyproheptadine it is a wonderful appetite stimulant that will take full effect in about a day. 

mandypine

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He was eating a little bit of soft food, just a few bites here and there. Last night he ate some more but I was half awake, half asleep when this was happening. (I put a plate of soft food and a bowl of water closer to him so he wouldn't have to walk all the way to the kitchen). So I could hear him eating some, so that pretty much made me feel better. The vet did mention that and mentioned blood work (after the medication) because he said it could be anything from a mild infection to something more serious, but that from the looks of him and his vitals that he was thinking it was something minor because he hasn't been throwing up he's just been not in the mood for eating--and he said that was in result to the fever. (Kind of like how humans don't want to eat when they're sick kind of deal) but Howie has taken a few bites here and there and he's been drinking a lot more today than I've seen since he got sick.

So, the first step is to try this medication to rule out any kind of infection--he said that if he is not well in a week to bring him back for blood work to see about it being something much further than just an infection. But overall he said that all cats (like people) are different when they get sick. When my Moscow (who is about 5 years older than Howie) got sick (he got sick because Howie had a cold and passed it on to him), Moss was gagging and throwing up bile and all the like, not eating or drinking--and the antibiotics worked for him--they said the same thing. Try the medication first to rule out any kind of infection and if he wasn't better in a week to take him back for blood work--by day 4 Moss was in better shape, it took him a few more days after to get back to his eating habits. So I'm hoping Howie will get back to his habit soon as well. He looks a lot LOT better today than he did a few days ago but he's still in that stage of having a blah attitude. He followed me in the kitchen when I was getting Moss some food and he meowed all loud as if he wanted to smell what i was doing, so I put some on a plate and he sniffed it then just walked out like he couldn't be bothered eating.

So I'm not as worried about it now as I was a few days ago when his attitude was just lying there and being life less. He's walking about and going into different rooms and making more of an effort to eat and drink than he did before I took him to the vet.

So, I've got three more days of these amoxitabs for him--if he is not into a more stable routine come Friday I'm taking him for blood work on Saturday.

Last edited:

mandypine

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks a lot for the video, and for the references!  Howie has always been a quite lean cat, he only became as skinny because of a growth spurt and the onset of his sickness. I am going to continue the medicine and if by Friday he is not any better I'm going to take him to get blood work. He seems to be in and out of wanting to do more (such as play) but then it's like he is just too tired to do it and will rest, then he is up walking around. But either way, if he is not any different come Friday ....off to the vet we go !

Last edited:

mandypine

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay, it is day three of his pills and he just looks worse. He is refusing to eat, I had to force some food for him to eat last night. I haven't seen him have a bowel movement either, and I haven't seen him go pee since two days ago. I have called the emergency vet and I am going to take him tomorrow to get blood work done to try to figure out WHAT IS HAPPENING. I am very worried now, he seems to be in and out of this. One moment he is absolutely lifeless, the next he's wanting to sit in the window pane and bask in the sun. You can see that he is very weak and it's all just so heartbreaking. The vet on the emergency line says he doesn't think it's FLV because he had  his leukemia booster shot and he's always been an inside cat (since I found him...he was about 4 months old when I found him--but when they did blood work on him he was negative for FLV) so that is being ruled out, but still, not quite sure at all. I just feel bad because he can't physically tell me "this is what's wrong, this is how I feel" because I just wish I could fix it. He has been drinking water and everything just hasn't eaten anything--so I am going to take him tomorrow for blood work AND inform the vet about him not eating so then actions towards fatty liver can be taken. (as the EV told me that there could be a possibility of this occurring, thus why he needs to be seen tomorrow). Sigh...this is all so heartbreaking :(

I will keep you all posted

franksmom

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
As I advised above you need to start syringe feeding now and not wait any longer. I would not wait until you can take him to the vet. You can buy a syringe (try to get one that is 29 CC) at the drugstore and blend and wet food into a soupy consistency. This hills AD is already the right consistency but any wet food can be used. 29 CC is about once ounce of wet food and you want to replace the amount he usually eats. When I was doing it with my cat I aimed for one can of the AD a day. You have to do frequent small meals so he will not get sick. 

When you take him to the vet I would really advocate for a feeding tube in this situation. They have saved countless lives but a lot of vets who are not experienced with felines do not know this (Most vets do not have proper training in feline medicine as the concentrate on dogs). Here is a great article on them by a feline vet (http://catinfo.org/?link=feedingtubes)

mandypine

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't have any money to go out and buy a syringe like that--what I do have is a small 6ml one....if I mash up his food to a water like consistency will that work? I won't have any money until Friday, thus why I've had to use the care credit card to cover cost until then. 

Watching him drink water he keeps like straining it seems, he pushes his neck out like it's difficult to swallow.

franksmom

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Large syringes at the drug store should only be a few dollars- and I have never seen one more than ten dollars. Yes mashing the food up with water helps. Putting it in a blender is even better.

Status
Not open for further replies.