A little bit of ebay.com help please

ruthyb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi there,
Seem to be posting alot tonight
I need the customer support phone number for ebay.com, I have an ongoing issue with a buyer from USA and I have emailed ebay and have had no response. I have got the phone number off the help pages and rung them but its ust a mailbox number. I am so frustrated right now, please if anyone can help me I would be very grateful, thankyou.xx

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
I'm not sure they have a number where you can talk to a live person. A few years ago when I needed to contact them, they didn't even have a number where you could leave a voicemail. Everything had to be done through email. Very frustrating.

How long has it been since you called them? Was there any indication that you would be contacted within a certain amount of time? If it's been more than three days, I would call again. Leave as detailed a message as you can: buyer's name, item number, issue, what you've already done, etc. Be sure to tell them the date and time of your first call.

Sorry I can't be more help.
for a quick resolution to your problem.

c1atsite

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Found this:

I've just rung ebay. I'm in the UK and the way i found it was to click on the help tab in top right hand corner; when that page loads i clicked on contact us. I entered the word fake in the ask bar. I selected "what are the rules on counterfeit items" and on the right hand side it came up with an option to email or call them. Hope this helps, because i read they change the number regularly, But as of right now 06th december 2010 it is: 0844 355 3229

Cheers
Source: http://hubpages.com/hub/EBay_Phone_Number Lol @ changing the phone number regularly. What a horrid way to do business.

c1atsite

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldyCat

I'm not sure they have a number where you can talk to a live person. A few years ago when I needed to contact them, they didn't even have a number where you could leave a voicemail. Everything had to be done through email. Very frustrating.
This seems to be a very big complaint for eBay customers. Doesn't eBay know customers can simply take their business elsewhere? Not a good recipe for repeat biz in my opinion

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ruthyb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aaaaargghh, just spoke to a live person and they said they don't have a number to give me! I appealed the case in november and it said that they would get back to me in 72 hours, well they haven't and I have emailed several times and no response. The number just goes through to an automated line. I rung ebay uk and they can't discuss it with me as its ebay.com's problem. Oh my gosh this is making me so mad.x

ruthyb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by c1atsite

I'd wait until Monday
Thankyou very much, that is one I haven't tried, I will ring Monday.xx

c1atsite

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ruthyb

Thankyou very much, that is one I haven't tried, I will ring Monday.xx
Please see the words in red.

You can call them on the following number in the UK: 0700 500 3229 (which spells 0700 500 ebay on your phone keypad). If you're calling from outside the UK, use +44 700 500 3229. The lines are open between 09:00 and 18:00 (GMT / BST) Monday to Friday and outside these times an answerphone facility is available.

The number is defined as charge code pn4 by BT, so your call will cost you 26 pence per minute (including VAT) if you are calling from a BT landline. Other service providers and calls from mobiles / abroad may be charged differently. You will just have to decide if the benefit of talking directly to a real live person in eBay customer services justifies the expense.

As a second best alternative you may use "Live Help", which is a chat window system that connects you with eBay customer services. You can currently only access this from ebay.com - look for the "Live Help" link below the main search box. This will open a chat dialogue box which will normally enable you to be "speaking" with an eBay team member in around 10 seconds.
Source: http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk...reat-ebay-game

Another link from 2 years ago it seems: http://hubpages.com/hub/ebay-paypal-phone-number

ruthyb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I tell you they're onto a good thing, the ebay live chat is a waste of space, I really am mad with them, I have to ring to sort this out as they have not answered any emails, flippin idiots. x

rad65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by c1atsite

This seems to be a very big complaint for eBay customers. Doesn't eBay know customers can simply take their business elsewhere? Not a good recipe for repeat biz in my opinion
A lot of these internet companies have bad customer service because when they entered the market in the 90's, their ingenuity and originality was the only driving force they needed. There wasn't another online auction site for years and years after eBay, so they could do anything within legal bounds and probably still not lose business, so they developed bad habits simply because they could (most 90's internet companies aren't concerned with customer satisfaction, social responsibility, etc, they care about MOOLAH). And what do we all know about bad habits? they're hard to break!

c1atsite

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here are just some of many comments found on http://www.contacthelp.com/comment_list.php?listing=140 eBay really does seem to be the worst company for direct/live help.

"Resolution Centre" is an eBay scam to keep you going round in loops, never getting anywhere. The 'average waiting time' today (Saturday) to speak to someone on the phone at eBay is 192 minutes according to the automated voice; and this is charged at £0.20 per minute making a call to be told "You need to go to the Resolution Centre on the web site" costs £38.40 (=$60). And the whole time you're waiting they're cutting in with ads

Reading through the comments, there were a lot of possible #'s, most of which are disconnected but as of today, this one worked: 800-701-3229... in order to reach someone I had to dial 2 then # then it'll say "If you'd like to continue this call without a pin, press 2" so I pressed 2 and then chose the options I needed from there and IT WORKED!! After being on hold for 15 minutes, I finally spoke with a LIVE HUMAN BEING

[for a pin#] you have to go to Paypal then click on Help>Contact us by phone or email>call us. At that point it will give you a six digit PIN that is good for 60 minutes. After you have that PIN then you can call customer service number listed on this page, after you have entered the PIN just follow the prompts and it will take you to a customer service rep. (an actual person!!! YAY finally!!!)

020-8080 2105
(408) 376-7400
(408) 376-5991
(402) 935-2120
(408) 558-7400

I called 866-934-9647 and it got through to a representative! It asked for me for a pin number which I never had in the first place. Then I answer the automatic questions according to the purpose of my call, I was able to talk to a real person in a matter of few minutes

After over an hour and two disconnections, I was able to get the direct number to their resolutions center - 866-934-9647

when I got mad enough at being jerked around on the contact site I entered in the question box, "How do I cancel my accts. I've had it with you people"-- Immediately a box opened up on the right with a phone no. and pin no., and an option to "live chat"

c1atsite

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
"Getting an eBay Seller's Phone Number" http://www.dummies.com/how-to/conten...ne-number.html

Originally Posted by rad65

A lot of these internet companies have bad customer service because when they entered the market in the 90's, their ingenuity and originality was the only driving force they needed. There wasn't another online auction site for years and years after eBay, so they could do anything within legal bounds and probably still not lose business, so they developed bad habits simply because they could (most 90's internet companies aren't concerned with customer satisfaction, social responsibility, etc, they care about MOOLAH). And what do we all know about bad habits? they're hard to break!
Indeed. One of the dreamy "new media" concepts of the 90's was to create a company fully on the internet without bricks or doors so that it could be a hands-free "golden goose" or "cash cow". The phrase "cash cow" was particularly annoying to me, as it was heavily used from 1996-roughly 2002 here in New York. Back then, many "new media" types shunned doing business with a handshake, etc. Some looked down on traditional companies and assumed they would die like the dinosaurs. How absurd. Today, that attitude of haha-we-are-the-next-kings is hard to find, especially after mid-late 2000/early 2001 when it become clear that many traditional companies with landlines and headquarters simply will never be conquered by "new media". eBay seems to be a relic of that era. In the past 3 years I think I've only purchased 4 items via eBay.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
This is a bit off-topic, but on the subject of eBay and calling them, etc.--I recently had them call me, just to make sure I was satisfied with a dispute I had with a seller recently (#11 in a 12-month period, BTW--maybe that's why eBay called me!). I've been on eBay since 1999, and this is a first!