A kitten with FIP

Shalou

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, everyone. Recently our cat was diagnosed with FIP (Beer belly, heavy breathing, unable to move properly, etc.). The vet gave us three syringes to use them on the cat. Though, what caught me suspicious is; one of the syringes are in milk form and white. She never used this on the cat. Could this be euthanasia? Because, she is not responding to our calls too right now. She said she will call back at 8pm, but it's 10pm right now and she is not responding.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
First off, I'm so sorry your furbaby has been diagnosed with FIP :hugs:. Second, what did the Vet say those syringes were for? I've never, ever in my life heard of a Vet giving someone syringes for an owner to administer euthanasia, so would be surprised is that is what they are, but still wonder what they are, as owners don't usually administer any injections unless they have a cat with diabetes. Can you give us more details about those injections? When did the Vet say to use them, how, etc.

Also, did they talk to you about the new FIP drugs out there. Last time I checked, they were "black market", not yet approved for use, at least not in the United States,but since you said it's 10 p.m. where you are and it's 11 a.m. where I am, I'm guessing you are far away from the United States and it might be approved wherever you are. Here is a thread that discusses the various drugs: FIP Is Treatable Now?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Shalou

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
First off, I'm so sorry your furbaby has been diagnosed with FIP :hugs:. Second, what did the Vet say those syringes were for? I've never, ever in my life heard of a Vet giving someone syringes for an owner to administer euthanasia, so would be surprised is that is what they are, but still wonder what they are, as owners don't usually administer any injections unless they have a cat with diabetes. Can you give us more details about those injections? When did the Vet say to use them, how, etc.

Also, did they talk to you about the new FIP drugs out there. Last time I checked, they were "black market", not yet approved for use, at least not in the United States,but since you said it's 10 p.m. where you are and it's 11 a.m. where I am, I'm guessing you are far away from the United States and it might be approved wherever you are. Here is a thread that discusses the various drugs: FIP Is Treatable Now?
She responded about 10 minutes after I've posted this thread. She gave us syringes because she goes home and can't come to work at late times. But we told her that we have no practice at all on cats and we can't use the syringes on them. But luckily, she came and did the syringes herself. She did talk about a somewhat expensive drug. Costs about 50-60 in our currency (AZN). But she said that it won't guarantee the cure. We may buy it anyways though.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I do believe the drug is pricey, and I think it has to be given for about 90 days straight (maybe even 180 days!) to be effective. But it depends on what stage of FIP the cat is in, whether it's wet or dry FIP and so on whether the chances of recovery are good.

Glad you were able to reach your Vet and she did the syringes for you.