A Horror Story: The Neighbor

10toomany

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My neighbor shouldn't have cats. He has one of them in a cage in his basement. I have 8 cats i took from him years ago and got them neutered and immunized. Then i fed them outside. I eventually brought all of them in. They are now elderly ( they were all born about the same time.) He now has a lot more. One of them ,Smarty, has been coming to my house. I feed her and give her water. She's getting thin very fast. He leaves her out in 90 degree weather. She's pretty old too. The man has been stallking me. Sometimes he uses her because he knows i will come out. Then he watches me from behind his bushes while i feed her. I am moving because this guy folliows me. There's a lot more but too much. I am going to take Smartie with me when i leave. I want to call the aspca but i can't do it now as he will know i called.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad you posted. I have had my own problems with bad neighbors though a different type of problem. I have been rescuing too. Be careful. I am glad you are saving them. Do you know why he has one caged? If you have seen it I assume you have been inside the house. Are they properly fed and watered? Could he be dealing with a cat that is sick and just keeping it separate for that reason?

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you have a local Humane Society, you can call and they will send one of their staff to his house to investigate and make sure the cats are being properly cared for. Keeping a cat caged in a basement is likely considered cruelty. What is your concern if thinks you're the one who called? If he's made any threats, you should report this to your local police. If he has been stalking you, they can make a report of this and have it on file. I once rescued a cat from a hoarder who was a known drug dealer who had dozens of sick cats roaming the streets and breeding, and you bet I was in contact with the local police. As far as allowing a cat out in 90 degree weather--that's not abuse unless the cat isn't being fed and otherwise cared for. Outside cats know how to survive in heat, just as they do in the cold. But if you have concerns about the safety of the cats and yourself, you should contact your local police and Humane Society. Good luck and thanks for your concern for these cats.

Last edited: