A Harness?

angier106

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Again, I am worried that because of his kidney problems, Tom will have to be indoors. Would getting a harness be a good idea so he won't leave the backyard so that he can be outside from time to time?
Of course, I'd make sure that no other food, other than his diet food be close enough.
If I do use a harness, it would be one with a long leash so he could roam around.
Would it be cruel to do that to him?
Thanks again.

rad65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You should only let him outside on a harness if you're around since the long leash can get wrapped around his neck a number of ways. If you're around, I don't see any problems in giving him some outdoor time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

angier106

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you!
I'm glad that he will get to spend some time outside and not escape!

aqua315

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A harness is a great idea as long as you're there to supervise. One suggestion about putting it on though is you HAVE to make sure it's tight enough. If you can fit two fingers under the straps, that's fine, even if it looks a little tight, he'll be fine. I know from personal experience that having a harness on a cat is not like having one on a dog. They are incredibly tricky and will take any opportunity to squirm out of it if they aren't used to it yet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

angier106

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Any ideas which would be the safest one available?
I want him to have his space to walk around the back yard or put him in the front porch. This would also allow him to visit his sister that misses him so much..

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by angier106

Any ideas which would be the safest one available?
I want him to have his space to walk around the back yard or put him in the front porch. This would also allow him to visit his sister that misses him so much..
Jamie goes outside in a harness every day. I use an H-shaped dog harness and a retractable 3 meter leash and take reading material with me. Even though I'm right there, he's still managed to slip out of the harness several times over the last 11 1/2 years, so it's not fool-proof.