A fun question about behavior

jkuras

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
As my cat has grown more healthy and robust, he has started initiating hide and seek and attack games on me.  He suddenly puts his ears back and runs like a race horse into his tunnels and boxes out and in, bouncing all over, then he makes a strange meow.  When I come over he races out of my way and jumps on my bed, under my bed, and if he is in his boxes, he tries to get me.  I laugh so hard - to see him like this.  Is this normal?  

The other question is when I come home from shopping for several hours, he throws his body against the wheels of my cart and rubs  his entire body against it with all his heart.  He does this if I have been away for a while.  He also does that when I come home from work and throw my bags on the bed, he puts his entire body on top of them and rubs and rubs.  Is this to mix his scent with mine?

Just curious.

Thanks,

Joyce

Last edited:

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hi Joyce,
It's perfectly normal for your cat to run like a race horse and jumping into boxes and through tunnels Nd all over and looks like she's trying to get you. She is exited and in her playful mood. My boy jsnuary does that too and hide in boxes as if I can't see him and like you said that when you approach them, they start running all over again.
For the shopping part, she misses you while you were gone and therefore rub herself against the cart's wheels and bags to re-own you again.
It's perfectly normal. Don't worry :D

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jkuras

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you.  I feel so much better.  I know he misses me.  I wanted to get him a playmate, however when he is near any other cat or dog he hisses and spits.  They think when they found him, he might have been attacked.  He likes people, not animals.  

Joyce

jkuras

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I meant to add, he does try to get me.  He puts his paws and head through the holes in the cat boxes and tries to get me with his claws .  I have the boxes stacked, so if I look down he jumps upon the top box and swipes.  You  have to see him.  He is a tiger.  But I find it so funny,  then he calms down and just wants to be loved.  I think he is precious.

Joyce

Ladewyn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Both of those are very normal behaviours. He's just playing out his natural hunter's instinct in a friendly way. As long as he isn't genuinely attacking you aggressively, that is. Some people don't like their cat going after their feet (I don't only because I'm a clutz and don't want to step on mine), but if you don't mind the behaviour, there's nothing inherently wrong with it. And him rubbing just sounds like he's marking to me :)

It may still be possible to get him a playmate, it just may take a slow adjustment period. Might he be less intimidated by kittens? The only catch though is that even with an adjustment period, the new cat and him may still not get along, or may be totally uninterested in one another, so you may still not have playmates even after that. So it's really only something to try if you really want a new cat anyways.

jkuras

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, just to clarify, he doesn't really much attack my legs, but when he is in his play mood, and I go near his boxes and tap on them, he jumps into them and tries to get me from every angle.  His head pops out of one hole, his paws pop out individually as he jumps from box to box.  It warms my heart to see him this playful as it took him over a month to feel good and gain weight.

When he is in his cat tunnels, he waits for my feet to show on the other end - then he raises through the tunnel sometimes grabbing my legs sometimes not.  He is enjoyable.

Joyce

Last edited:

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Thank you.  I feel so much better.  I know he misses me.  I wanted to get him a playmate, however when he is near any other cat or dog he hisses and spits.  They think when they found him, he might have been attacked.  He likes people, not animals.  

Joyce
January is exactly same as Sushi. Hisses at objects, hisses inside the lift, hisses at other cats and some humans :lol3:

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hi, just to clarify, he doesn't really much attack my legs, but when he is in his play mood, and I go near his boxes and tap on them, he jumps into them and tries to get me from every angle.  His head pops out of one hole, his paws pop out individually as he jumps from box to box.  It warms my heart to see him this playful as it took him over a month to feel good and gain weight.

When he is in his cat tunnels, he waits for my feet to show on the other end - then he raises through the tunnel sometimes grabbing my legs sometimes not.  He is enjoyable.

Joyce
Very good sign. Keep playing with her. Don't let her loose interest in play

Ladewyn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sounds like he's just having a fun time with the person he loves :)