A friend is declawing...help!

bemyonlyone

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I honestly believe that anyone who would declaw a cat should be prepared to have each of their fingertips removed.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Don't forget to point your friend in the direction of Soft Claws as well!! Not only do they look so cute, but they stop any sort of scratching

ryn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by TigerOnTheProwl

When I'm a vet I'll refuse to declaw. I'll tell anyone who wants to declaw to go cut off half their fingers and toes and see how it feels.
That's a wonderful attitude. Not many people are willing to turn down business for ethical integrity like you are.

I first heard of declawing's existence just a couple of years ago, and I was apalled someone would actually come up with such an idea (but not amazed, there seems to be no limit to human cruelty). It's illegal and completely unheard of here.

tigerontheprowl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Fats McGee

Wonderful news!

Those pictures made me want to vomit/cry. How selfish is it to value your FURNITURE more than an animal??

When I have adopters come in wanting to declaw and I tell them about the behavioral issues and they say "Well, I've always declawed my cats and they've been just fine" and I say

"Okay, how many declawed cats have you had? 2? 3? 10? I've seen literally hundreds and it is RARE to meet a well-adjusted declawed cat. Most of them are biters, excrutiatingly shy, or just have litter box problems".

I win, usually.
Good for you.
Unfortunately, It's going to take a lot more than us at TCS to change the world. Just because people believe that we are nature's finest achievement they are always going to consider cats to be a lower level of intelligence and therefore unimportant. As a result of people thinking like this, they are always going to put their own selfishness before looking at their cats and realizing that they need love and attention not ignorance and declawing.

Originally Posted by Ryn

That's a wonderful attitude. Not many people are willing to turn down business for ethical integrity like you are.

I first heard of declawing's existence just a couple of years ago, and I was apalled someone would actually come up with such an idea (but not amazed, there seems to be no limit to human cruelty). It's illegal and completely unheard of here.
Some people are just ignorant and always look for the quick fix. They don't know how to train their cat to use a scratching post and they don't want to take the time to learn. I feel that people who don't take the time to see what declawing really entails should be educated. They must know what it can do to the cat and they should take a look at the alternatives.

I feel that it should be illegal everywhere. I don't know why animal rights groups don't motion to a law to be passed againt it.