A ? for anyone who has not been able to do treatment because of $ issues

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
After watching my mother go through chemo twice, there is no way - no matter how much or little it cost - that I would do that to a cat. Like Bruce said, it's horrible even if you do understand what it is and why is makes you so god-awful sick and in pain. There is no way to explain that to a cat.

I also agree with Katie - talk to Jordan and tell him what is happening. They understand so much.

I also believe that sometimes things in the universe align for a reason. Perhaps there is a good reason that you happen to have a car that needs replacing right now with Jordan in this situation. Perhaps the reason you don't have the money is because you aren't supposed to; you aren't supposed to prolong his life, and his suffering.

I'm so sorry you have to make this kind of decision.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I think you are wise in your decision. When my Petunia developed a fibro-sarcoma, we discussed all of the options and at that time, chemo didn't really have a good track record. With an older cat, I don't believe in putting them through all of that grief and stress for what isn't that great an extension of life. Keep your baby comfortable and enjoy the time you have left.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I lost my first love (Hippocrates) to lymphosarcoma. We went as far as the surgical diagnose then faced the same question you are struggling with right now. We had the money to pay for all the treatments and still chose the quality of life over the quantity of life.

You know your baby better than any of us. The real question to ask yourself: would you put him through this even if you had the money? Are you holding on for you or for him?

You have my support whatever your decision might be.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm sorry, but chemo is
on a human, I'd never do that to a kitty. IMO, the quality of life is drastically increased, so it doesn't matter if they live another 10 years miserable. I'd rather love them in good health for the time they have.

halfpint

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As hard as it was I found myself telling Mickey everyday that I was so sorry he was sick and I would always be crying when I said it he would just butt my head with his it broke my Heart. I don't think I would ever put a cat through that kind of treatment because for the most part its kind of useless in most cases. why make them suffer even more.
Its just so hard always second guessing what we should have done what we could have done, Sometimes we have to make a choice and just stick to it, like I said My Heart is still broken because I miss him so much and I cry almost everyday, but I still don't regret doing it..

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I completely understand. There have been times when what was proposed would be so expensive, distress my cat and worse, and for not a guaranteed result.

We have always gone far, but it has had to be something we felt the cat could tolerate and get benefit from.

I've also had (twice now) a cat with a working diagnosis, where they said we had a couple of months, go on to have almost 2 years. You just never know.

Love 'em up, know you are doing what *is* best for your kitty (imo) as what I really hear is that you are truly taking into consideration what the surgery and chemo would do to your kitties quality of life.

shorty14788

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I lost my Howard to intestinal lymphoma last march. I know how hard of a decision it can be...

If they do an exploratory, all they will be doing is opening your baby up to confirm what they suspect. They cant surgically remove it. I personally didn't see the point in putting my cat through that.

As for chemo... Chemo doesn't work well on intestinal lymphoma. My vet said it was an option but didn't recommend it. She thought it would be pointless. It does work well for other types of lymphoma though... My friends cats is proof. She was diagnoised with lymphoma when she was 6 months old. They went for chemo. She has been in remission for almost 3 years.

Honestly, your making the right choice. Its the harder choice, but the right one none the less. I did the same thing for my Howard.

Lots of vibes to you

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you all so much. I did talk to him last night & I didn't get much of a reaction but I told him how much I loved him and that I was sorry he was sick. Yesterday was a bad day for him, but at least he looked better this morning & ate almost a whole can of fancy feast. I think I just need to prepare myself for those days that he is really not feeling well.