A Few Questions About Food For A Ckd Kitty

valou999

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a few questions about CKD because I keep hearing contradictory informations about it, or rather, the diet a kitty should be on to live longer with this illness. My senior kitty, Mitaine (Mittens), now 11 years old, was diagnosed with stage 1 (or early stage 2, I forgot which) CKD 2 years after he suddenly stopped eating and prompted a visit to the vet. Since then, I have been feeding him both prescribed renal support kibbles (Royal Canin), and canned paté (a mix of Purina NF, Royal Canin, and Science Diet k/d) to which I add extra water (1-2 tbsp).

From my understanding, this prescribed food is low in protein and phosphorus content. Now, some vetenarians seem to say that high quality human grade proteins is actually a better way to go since all cats, even ones with CKD, need good proteins to be healthy and I tend to agree with that. I feed my other kitty, Filou (Feeloo), with Acana Grasslands kibbles (Canadian formula: CatFoodDB - Acana Cat Food Reviews) and Romeo canned food (this is the best I can find: Cat wet food, duck a l'orange). Both are human grade and high quality meat proteins. Because I have 2 cats with 2 different diet and cannot be there to supervise every meal, I mix both types of kibbles together in a slow feeder they can snack on while I'm at work and feed them their canned food when I'm home and can watch over them. My question really is, should I keep this up, or abandon prescribed food entirely? What IS better, low or high protein content? Which. Is. It.

PS: Mitaine's last blood test (back in April) was spotless, everything looked perfectly stable, so maybe what I'm currently doing is working just fine, but doubts still gnaw at me... I love these kitties so much!

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
High protein is better. Cats thrive on protein. You do still need a higher phosphorus food. And really it's best if you ditch dry food all together. A kidney compromised cat (and ideally any cat) should not be eating dry if it can be helped. If you want to be safe you can feed prescription wet food for the first meal in the day and a lower phosphorus but high protein wet food at night. Also, give your cat for omega 3s, they help kidneys.

Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease- Canned Food Data USA
Catinfo.org