A few pics from July 4, watching fireworks with my cat

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know this is late, but I thought none of my pics from July 4 turned out well enough... but a few did.

I created a thread a while back about my cat loving fireworks:

Does anyone else's cat LOVE fireworks?

We watched the July 4 fireworks together in downtown Milwaukee. These pics are some I took of Willy enjoying them.

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Great photos! ❤
Your cat is so brave, mine would be hiding under the bed :lol:
He's lived in a big city for almost all of his life, so I think he got used to loud noises.

However, over the last 4-5 days, we just had an annual air show, in which the Blue Angels and others fly over the city of Milwaukee around where I live. When fighter jets go over the city, it's like fireworks x10. He was terrified, as are all pets around here.

I appreciate the reasons behind doing an air show for the public, but it's very stressful on pets who live around the area.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's lived in a big city for almost all of his life, so I think he got used to loud noises.

However, over the last 4-5 days, we just had an annual air show, in which the Blue Angels and others fly over the city of Milwaukee around where I live. When fighter jets go over the city, it's like fireworks x10. He was terrified, as are all pets around here.

I appreciate the reasons behind doing an air show for the public, but it's very stressful on pets who live around the area.
YES on all.
We have the same sort of scenario here. Thankfully, fireworks are illegal except in the pro shows at designated venues. But we're only a few blocks from L.A. Metro, where they're not. So we do get the noise, though it's nothing like 2 locations ago, where they were legal and a lot of people brought the big, dangerous ones up from Mexico. There, it was like a war zone. My ex and I used to fly above the scene and it was wall-to-wall smoke and explosions.
Our cats didn't seem to mind it much. In fact, my ex was of the opinion that if ya can't beat 'em, join 'em, so he'd buy a lot of safer ones and we'd let them off in the driveway. All of our adopted "community" cats knew to give them a wide berth. Our house was situated in several little yards, and we had put up several cat houses; plus, we had a catflap on the garage door. So they'd disappear during the festivities.
Here, we get the Golden Arrows and a few pro shows around the city. I usually tape the planes flying over, but that's absolutely "it" for me.
Spider Lilies July 2015 004.JPG

I've never taken specific July 4th pix. But here's a pic of my beautiful spider lily blooming in a July several years past.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww Willy is definitely enjoying the fireworks!!!
Gabby watched them through my screen door too.. I didn't get pictures tho 😕
It was kind of surprising I really thought she would be so scared from all the noise because she is such a little scared cat lol but she watched them until they were finished even the finale
tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 that is a beautiful spider lily!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww Willy is definitely enjoying the fireworks!!!
Gabby watched them through my screen door too.. I didn't get pictures tho 😕
It was kind of surprising I really thought she would be so scared from all the noise because she is such a little scared cat lol but she watched them until they were finished even the finale
tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 that is a beautiful spider lily!
Thank you! I brought it down from the Mojave -- it belonged to the original owners and they left it behind. It's only bloomed that one time, but I've kept it going and it's sending out green shoots now. That year, it bloomed around the 4th. I'm not confident it will bloom at all this year, but I'm just glad it survives, as most of the other plants I brought down have not.
Spider Lilies July 2015 003.JPG

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know the real name of this one plant my mom has at the house.. but it blooms these pods and when you touch them they kind of pop throwing seeds everywhere lol
My mom and I call them "touch me nots" I'm thinking of digging one up or grabbing a bunch of seeds to bring to my house

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know the real name of this one plant my mom has at the house.. but it blooms these pods and when you touch them they kind of pop throwing seeds everywhere lol
My mom and I call them "touch me nots" I'm thinking of digging one up or grabbing a bunch of seeds to bring to my house
Oh, I hope you do!
In the Mojave, there's a plant we call the Desert Bird of Paradise. It has seed pods and when they eject the seeds, it sounds like gunshots. A little disquieting until you know what's going on. But not go get OT. These are blooming in June, but they're kind of like fireworks in a way. :shocked:

Attachments

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, I hope you do!
In the Mojave, there's a plant we call the Desert Bird of Paradise. It has seed pods and when they eject the seeds, it sounds like gunshots. A little disquieting until you know what's going on. But not go get OT. These are blooming in June, but they're kind of like fireworks in a way. :shocked:
I would love a couple of those plants along with the ones from my parents house
Imaging having them next to each other then seeds going everywhere and someone not knowing what they look like and you tell them to touch them and one goes off like a gunshot lmao omgoodness that would be awesome hahaha

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 I'm going to have to try to find a desert bird of paradise plant now... like asap

Dancing lady orchids are beautiful too idk if you have heard of them
No, I haven't! One of our best members, who hasn't been on for awhile due to technical difficulties, is an orchid authority.
We need to stay back on topic, though, with the 4th of July...;)🎆🎇

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
The July 4th fireworks pics are so cool. 😎 I don't know if Carleton likes or dislikes fireworks but our dog was fearful of the sound. As for Neely, our previous cat, she would sit in the room where we could watch them over the trees from a distance.

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The July 4th fireworks pics are so cool. 😎 I don't know if Carleton likes or dislikes fireworks but our dog was fearful of the sound. As for Neely, our previous cat, she would sit in the room where we could watch them over the trees from a distance.
Willy actually RUNS to the window when fireworks start.

I mentioned that I live in Milwaukee. I am right by the lake area where Summerfest is, and other festivals, so there are lots of firework nights from June-August every year.

The second the first boom hits (and it is a boom... they rattle my windows and floor), he makes a beeline for the cat tree to get into an optimal viewing spot.

Fostercatmom_358

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
LOL. Willy sounds like such an exciting cat. Never heard such a thing as a cat loving fireworks so much that they run to the window when they start 😂.

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LOL. Willy sounds like such an exciting cat. Never heard such a thing as a cat loving fireworks so much that they run to the window when they start 😂.
I never heard of any animal loving them before Willy. I grew up with dogs and all of them were scared of fireworks. And we didn't live near any major firework shows like where I live currently; we'd just shoot off our own backyard fireworks sometimes, and the dogs would go into hiding.

A few years ago, I met one other cat who likes fireworks. She is almost completely deaf, and so I think the sound doesn't bother her and she finds the lights interesting.

Willy's hearing is perfect, though. He is just a weirdo. 😄

Last edited: