A feral cat

Squirmysmomma2

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a feral cat that I have been feeding for a little while ..I’ve noticed he’s limping,he is putting some pressure on it he looks like there is hair missing So I’m thinking maybe he has gotten into a fight ..I’m willing to get him help but can not afford 1000’s of dollars ..I know our shelters here are full !! So most likely he would be put down ..Any suggestions of what I can do My credit is not that great …

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I have a feral cat that I have been feeding for a little while ..I’ve noticed he’s limping,he is putting some pressure on it he looks like there is hair missing So I’m thinking maybe he has gotten into a fight ..I’m willing to get him help but can not afford 1000’s of dollars ..I know our shelters here are full !! So most likely he would be put down ..Any suggestions of what I can do My credit is not that great …
Thank you for taking care of this kitty. Where are you located?

Here's a link and see if you can get help from there :- Financial Aid for Pets

Last edited:

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I’m located in Staunton Va
Are you near them or can you contact them? They are in the list I attached for you.
'Virginia
Loudoun County: Companion Animal Resource Effort (CARE) provides temporary assistance to residents of Loudoun County who are temporarily unable to afford to provide veterinary care for their companion animals.'

Here's another list and Virginia is mentioned :- No Money For Vet Care? How To Find Help And Save Your Cat's Life - TheCatSite

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Squirmysmomma2

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’m located in Staunton Va

Last edited by a moderator:

Squirmysmomma2

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok what I’m wondering since it’s Friday should I try to capture and bring the cat in till I can get it to a vet on Monday I know that the emergency clinic is 135.00 just for the visit …I just don’t know which way to go with that part

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Ok what I’m wondering since it’s Friday should I try to capture and bring the cat in till I can get it to a vet on Monday I know that the emergency clinic is 135.00 just for the visit …I just don’t know which way to go with that part
Can you call the vet and see they have any differed payments plans before you catch this cat or call the linens I gave you?

Squirmysmomma2

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yea the emergency vet don’t and not sure about the other vet …and I read thru those articles I did see about the one in Richmond but he has be seen first from the vet but if he need an amputation they seemed pretty reasonable ..I just wish he would just let me scoop him up but he hides and will try to run away from me ..

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Yea the emergency vet don’t and not sure about the other vet …and I read thru those articles I did see about the one in Richmond but he has be seen first from the vet but if he need an amputation they seemed pretty reasonable ..I just wish he would just let me scoop him up but he hides and will try to run away from me ..
What you can do is inform the vet about your plans of getting this feral in as it is difficult to trap him and ask them to let you bring him in any time once you capture this cat. Most vets are willing to do this arrangement but it's better to check with them first.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If you have an indoor space he can rest and heal in, that is better then him trying to heal outside while also dodging whatever gave him the injury in the first place. A good number of injuries can heal with rest and a steady food source. Of course, a vet is always the best option for his recovery but i do understand it might not be a valid option. If his condition gets worse, he stops eating or you notice an abcesses you would want to see a vet and ask about lower cost options.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
So glad you are looking for ways to help your little friend,of course I do hope you can find help from some of tabbytom tabbytom references and do your due diligence on the internet for other resources
3yrs ago a feral was hit by a car and suffered a broken leg with open wounds as well,he hid under a bush and had never had any human contact ,a woman simply left treats in a bowl for him nightly

Long story short I got antibiotics from my Vet,crushed them up & mixed in with wet food & Churu-after about 6 weeks he moved ... I brought him food,water and cleaned the waste around his poor little body and that's when we first met.... so as Kieka Kieka mentioned rest wouod be great if you can possibly encourage him into a safe place and maybe secure it ( pet playpen?)and if you can get some antibiotics from a Vet it's better to start treating those open wounds right away and in the mean

You asked about trapping him and waiting until Monday,maybe Tuesday to get to Vet- that would be my first choice,he'll be fine for a couple of days with you providing his essential needs-plus he'll be safe and unable to further his injury...

Praying for you,so glad you're helping him . btw,my feral friend is now in his forever home,with me.... ❤

Squirmysmomma2

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So glad you are looking for ways to help your little friend,of course I do hope you can find help from some of tabbytom tabbytom references and do your due diligence on the internet for other resources
3yrs ago a feral was hit by a car and suffered a broken leg with open wounds as well,he hid under a bush and had never had any human contact ,a woman simply left treats in a bowl for him nightly

Long story short I got antibiotics from my Vet,crushed them up & mixed in with wet food & Churu-after about 6 weeks he moved ... I brought him food,water and cleaned the waste around his poor little body and that's when we first met.... so as Kieka Kieka mentioned rest wouod be great if you can possibly encourage him into a safe place and maybe secure it ( pet playpen?)and if you can get some antibiotics from a Vet it's better to start treating those open wounds right away and in the mean

You asked about trapping him and waiting until Monday,maybe Tuesday to get to Vet- that would be my first choice,he'll be fine for a couple of days with you providing his essential needs-plus he'll be safe and unable to further his injury...

Praying for you,so glad you're helping him . btw,my feral friend is now in his forever home,with me.... ❤
Ok I will try to trap him this evening so it will give me time to get a bedroom set up for him
And get him inside and call the vet first thing Monday morning and see about getting him in and checked out

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok I will try to trap him this evening so it will give me time to get a bedroom set up for him
And get him inside and call the vet first thing Monday morning and see about getting him in and checked out
Great,you can't let him out of the trap though,he's safe in there and he'll stay calm,you can even cover it to relax him- unless you have a transfer cage don't let him out of the trap,you can bring a carrier or crate with you to the Vet So they can put him in there after they've seen him and then you can take him home in whatever containment he'll be in for now....

Just making sure you know not to let him out in the bedroom,then you'll have whole different problem recapturing him,lol