A Different Look A FeLV & FIV or the story of Howie

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love the thumbs!!! I have two polydactyls; the tuxedo girl is in my avatar!

smarty88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Peaches, she looks a lot like our polydactyl cat in that picture! When we had him neutered, our vet called us to let us know he was out of surgery and doing fine AND that he removed those extra digits for us... he slipped in, "You did want those taken off, right?" I was got off guard and totally reacted- it took me 5 or 6 seconds to realize he was kidding.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

roods ranch

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
An update on Howie. Without much warning, and in less than a week, he lost three pounds and became lethargic; wasn't eating and not acting like himself. Labs revealed elevated liver enzymes, but no other issues. The vet felt it could be an infection or the beginning of hepatic lipidosis( fatty liver disease brought on by not eating) so he was given subcutaneous fluids, antacids, and antibodies plus Hill's a/d diet which had to be force fed.Six days into treatment he wasn't doing well, and vomited all the food he was given. It was Sunday, so we took him to the animal ER. He was given more subcutaneous fluids, anti nausea meds and an appetite stimulant. I took him to his regular vet on Monday who felt that though he'd not gained any weight, he was looking a bit better. We were discussing continuing current treatment, the possibility of an ultrasound/needle biopsy to see if there was an indication of a tumor (possible lymphoma) when we both noted him labored breathing. I left Howie at the vet so she could run x rays. When she called several hours later and told me he had fluid around his heart and an enlarged liver, my husband and I made the decision not to put Howie through any additional tests, treatments. The vet and her staff stayed late and helped us give Howie a gentle passing.
I am very sad today, but I knew going in, the odds when adopting an FIV/FeLV cat:
*Most only live 3-5 years past diagnosis
*60% of FeLV cats will develop Lymphoma
*Even a non-FeLV cat diagnosed with Lymphoma given surgery, chemotherapy will only gain six months to a year.
Howie wasn't feeling well, wasn't himself and what quality of life was he going to have being medicated or force fed pretty much every hour for the rest, of his days?
I think back to yesterday afternoon while we waited for the vet to come get him prepped for his x rays. Howie was pacing around the room and I said out loud, "God, please help me to help Howie.". Howie walked up to me, put his big kitchen mitt paws on my leg, looked at me with his big green saucer eyes and loudly meowed. I picked him up, kissed his silly two dot mustache and told him I loved him. He rubbed his face on my chin and purred. I'd like to think that was his way of telling me he was ready to cross the rainbow bridge.
Here's to you Big "H"! The only cat I knew who came when called, begged at the table with his doggie brother and sister, could swipe cold cuts out of a sandwich without disturbing the lettuce, loved being groomed (no toothbrushing please) and always made sure I never watched TV without his 15 pound presence in my lap.
I'll be loving you always.