A de-claw disscussion - what would you do?

cathaus

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by twokatz

I had a cat that had a problem like that and she would not let me trim her nails. I took her in every 2-3 weeks or when needed and the vet cut them, he didn't charge me as they just took her back and did it. After a while they started growing closer to natural and it wasn't so bad when she went. Is that an option? Or sedating her and having the vet cut them back then have him keep it up? It would be heartbreaking to have to do that, for both of you.
Good Luck
I asked him about it and he felt that it'd be best for her to de-claw but did bring up cutting the nails farther back but due to the growth rate and the way they curve it wouldn't be long before they go back to curling under again. It's the way her nails are curling under that's causing the problem, and even if they cut them far back (cutting the quick, OUCH) it will only curl in worse.

twokatz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yeah that is what Tabbies nails did. I always knew when they needed trimming cause she would walk different. One thing about it after her nails got cut she quit do daredevil stunts for awhile

Good luck

cathaus

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Yeah that is what Tabbies nails did. I always knew when they needed trimming cause she would walk different. One thing about it after her nails got cut she quit do daredevil stunts for awhile

Good luck
Hah, yeah. I imagine she will get pretty frustrated. Her jumping skills have never been the best, but recently her age is starting to creep up on her. My husband and I will be building a ramp and some kitty stairs up to our bed so she can get up and get down without breaking herself.

Surgery won't be till January, but I've been looking into other sources of pain killers (like the fentanyl patch) that give out doses for up to 4 days rather than stressing her out more with pill popping.

twokatz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When I have had to use pain meds after surgery I have used a liquid called bupronex (spelling?). You only have to use a very tiny amount so it is not hard to give. I have used the Fentanyl patch on my dog when she had stomach cancer and she had to be shaved. We also had to get a lubricant spray to get the patch off, they really stick and it hurts when you have to change it.

cathaus

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

When I have had to use pain meds after surgery I have used a liquid called bupronex (spelling?). You only have to use a very tiny amount so it is not hard to give. I have used the Fentanyl patch on my dog when she had stomach cancer and she had to be shaved. We also had to get a lubricant spray to get the patch off, they really stick and it hurts when you have to change it.
I thought about that, the patch sticking to the skin :/ I'll ask about the liquid pain killer and see. Thanks!

shanynne

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CatHaus

I am in a situation where it's necessary, but ANY other time I would never ever ever put a cat through de-clawing. EVER.

I am beyond heartbroken to be honest. My eldest cat is 11 years old, she's the bright light of my life (aside from my stinky husband). Through these 11 years I have gladly kept up with clipping her nails, making sure they were trimmed back. This year is different, her nails are growing at an alarming rate and the quick is also growing abnormally. When we moved into our new home it had only been about 2 months since her last trimming. I took a look at her nails and they had started to grow into her pads. TWO MONTHS D: I trimmed them as best I could but because of the quick and the strange thickness of her nails that was made very difficult.

I took her into the vet today and we discussed some other health issues of hers, but I brought up her nails. He and I are similar in the thinking that de-clawing is a terrible thing to do to a cat, and he usually would never recommend it. But in her case it's a medical issue and it's causing her pain.

I cannot even tell you how ill I feel at the idea that this needs to be done and I fear what it will do to her mentally. I feel like crying.
Sweetie, you should be trimming her nails once to twice a week! Please try that first before taking such a drastic and permanent step! And perhaps a second opinion is in order?!?!?

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Arrghh..

I have a friend that has 2 cats, declawed!!
I told her repeatedly how bad it hurts and tried to convince her not to do it and all she can say was "well it does not hurt them, they will be fine" and "i always have my cats declawed and they have survived" and the last but NOT least phrase she uses "they will destroy me leather couch"

I just guess people will never understand!!!

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My vet will do declawing but she tries to help the owner with other option first... She has one client who was going to declaw her cat (their other cats already were declawed I think) but she convinced the owner to use Soft Claws instead.
I just saw my first declawing surgery recently...