A Common Misconception About Cats...

gaogier

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
hello

There is a common misconception about cats which I believe needs to be changed. The fact cats only meow with humans, this is not the case.

Cats began meowing at their mothers from birth to get milk, and other things the mothers do. They quickly learn that they can manipulate us humans using different types of meows. The common misconception is cats don't meow to each other is false, I have heard my boys meow when not in close proximity for things I have guest meant, there is a stray cat coming into our territory, I need backup. I see a squirrel, need help hunting and many more. This is very rare though.

You might say feral cats don't meow, again they do, to warn others about intrusion, food, poor health. You can see this happening on tv where a animal shelter type person entered a house full of feral cats. I have seen a video, where a feral cat brought food to her said to be sister (both adult cats), but the sister was hiding from the film maker, the cat with the food meowed (I assume to let her sister know, it's safe and we have food). I have also seen feral cats meow on stationary cameras to other feral cats (nothing else around).

I have found this in research I did many years ago now. Have your cats meowed but not at you?

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My two call to each other, usually to help find out where their buddy is. It's not the same meow they generally direct toward me, but it's a meow just the same.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gaogier

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am so pleased you hear it too... it's definitely a meow wouldn't you say, it's definitely different to what they do to us humans, it's as if they speak 2 languages, one human meow and other cat meow lol