A Close Call

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Friday a week ago, I was on the back porch. It had just stopped raining. I could hear some thunder in the distance. I was trying to get my cat to come in from outside because I knew the rain was not over. A bolt of lightening came across the field from nowhere. A huge pecan tree sits about 36 feet from the porch. The lightening hit the tree, and fire was everywhere. Bark and leaves were flying all over the place. It was loud, real loud. My husband ran out the back door because he knew something close was hit. He knew I had gone outside and was expecting to find me on the ground. I was so dazed I didn't realize at first what had happened. The lightening hit high up in the tree, came down the tree on three sides, west, north and east. The tree trunk is split from the ground up as high as we can see. Because I am living where I grew up, I don't remember life without this tree. But it is going to have to come down. Two tree men have said it will die from either the strike itself or from insect infestation. I am very thankful to be alive and that my cat is not hurt. Nothing in the house was harmed. The tree is nearly 80 feet tall and is severely damaged. Wind from the right direction would put it across our home. So I am going to have to say goodbye to a life long friend.

Docs Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm really glad that you and kitty escaped harm !
As for the tree, they do get to be old friends after awhile. Plant something new to carry on...

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
blueyedgirl5946 blueyedgirl5946 - I feel your pain as well. I lost the tallest Black Ash on the property five years ago to a lightning strike - the third tree I've lost to lightning in 14 years:

ash1.jpg
ash2.jpg
ash3.jpg

Measured at just over 104 feet felled, the loss of any venerable tree is a tragedy; thankfully, you and your kitty are safe.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Scary!

The apartment building I used to live in got hit by lightening once. All the lights and fire alarms suddenly came on, but there didn't seem to be any damage.

Are you going to have to pay to have the tree taken down? Is it covered by your home insurance?

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I'm glad you and Snoop are OK and I can imagine how scared you were. I'm truly sorry about the tree though. That hurts. When a tree has been around for that long, it hurts when they die. And you're right....it's like losing a long-time friend.

You could plant another tree in its spot, if you wanted. It's not the same and you'll always think of "your" tree when you look at that spot. But the option is there.

Years ago, we lost one of our silver maples in the side yard to a lightning strike. We eventually planted two young trees in that area: a flowering chestnut and a flowering crap. Both trees are growing well and they're really pretty. But we still think of our silver maple. Trees are not easily forgotten.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Our home insurance pays a maximum of $525 per tree or shrub. That is not even a fourth of what it is going to cost to get it down. If it had hit the house, then the homeowners would have paid the damage. Thankfully it didn't. I knew of someone who was struck by lightening in the field plowing many years ago. He survived, but with some effects I believe.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The tree is coming down today. We have this hurricane out there in the ocean now. The tree man wanted to go ahead and get it down, rather than having it hang over our house if a storm comes.

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh wow, that is scary! Yes, thank goodness you, the cat & the house are all ok!
Yes, I agree, good to get it out of the way, before weather from this storm comes! I really pray we don't get hit!
We've been blessed for a few years now...knock on wood! I may have to ask the vet for more of what she gave me for Sammie, for fireworks. She has a fit to be kept in, & am probably going to need some. Only have 3 left. (I only got 4 to star with, & calming treats only work so much). I do keep her in if I know it's going to rain hard, or storm, & she eventually gives up & goes under the bed,
but she will cry & paw at the door first!
I pray we are all safe this storm season!!