A chartreux mix maybe?

yulkasilverfox

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello, everyone!
This girlie here is Skye and I’m wondering what kind of breed/mix she could be. On her adoption page it said Russian Blue mix but I’m doubtful about it. My parents have Russian Blue mixes and they look very different compared to her. She is 1+ y.o. round, her hunter instinct is 100 there, and furry (a nice double coat). Her head is so tiny compared to her body it makes me laugh. She’s very loyal, sweet with people, playful with our dude Merlin (it sounds like they’re moving furniture when they wrestle around), very smart kitty.
Could she possibly be a Chartreux mix? Or Russian Blue mixed with Charteux?
I’m very curious!

IMG_5495.jpeg
IMG_5489.jpeg

gitabooks

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Your kitty is so beautiful!!

The majority of cats, even those with unique coloring, are multi-generational crosses (called Moggies). Many rescues/shelters will list any blue cat as a "Russian Blue" and any color point as a "Siamese" or longhair as a "Maine Coon".

We did a DNA test on our Moggie kitty for fun, and he was like 5% Maine Coon, which was funny because he doesn't even have longhair. :lol:

You never know though, your kitty could have purebred genetics in there.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

yulkasilverfox

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Your kitty is so beautiful!!

The majority of cats, even those with unique coloring, are multi-generational crosses (called Moggies). Many rescues/shelters will list any blue cat as a "Russian Blue" and any color point as a "Siamese" or longhair as a "Maine Coon".

We did a DNA test on our Moggie kitty for fun, and he was like 5% Maine Coon, which was funny because he doesn't even have longhair. :lol:

You never know though, your kitty could have purebred genetics in there.
Ah! I never heard of Moggies before! I’ll look it up, that’s very interesting. And thank you :redheartpump:
But I’ve seen the DNA kits floating on Instagram! I wonder how accurate they are, hmm.
Maine Coon, wow! That’s pretty neat haha! Is he bigger in size than a regular cat?

We took Merlin from the same place as Skye. And on his page it also said Russian Blue mix. Well, I think he’s very far from it haha IMG_5036.jpeg IMG_4951.jpeg

yulkasilverfox

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He is such a dog-cat though! He falls belly up at your feet whenever he gets a chance! Which results, if you’re not looking, in tripping over him and giving him a good kick as well 😅😆

gitabooks

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Nym was 15 lb at a healthy weight, so he was really big! We just lost him about a week ago : (

I don't think cat breed tests are as accurate as dog breed tests yet, since data allows them to make it more accurate (and dog DNA has been heavily studied). Every cat included helps them make the tests better though. We used Basepaws.

Attachments

yulkasilverfox

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Nym was 15 lb at a healthy weight, so he was really big! We just lost him about a week ago : (

I don't think cat breed tests are as accurate as dog breed tests yet, since data allows them to make it more accurate (and dog DNA has been heavily studied). Every cat included helps them make the tests better though. We used Basepaws.
Got it, thank you for clarifying quite a lot! Now I actually think that the cats my parents own are moggies as well but have maybe a bit more qualities of the RB breed.
I can’t open the file from my phone :( I’ll take a look at it when I’m home at the computer.

And I’m so sorry, that’s terrible! It’s hard to loose them! Hope he’s hopping from rainbow to rainbow up there!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree totally with your answer, and tx for the explanation for the root of the word moggie... Multi-generations (mix).... :) Tx.

However. Not being longhair is no contradiction he cant have Maine Coon ancestry.... A biggish shorthair could still be 50% + Maine coon, if say, the MCO father had it with a shorthair mother... The child would be shorthair as shorthair gene dominates over longhair gene, whom are recessive. And if momma was herself such a mix, a biggish shorthair could even be a 75% MCO-ancestry...

Of course I do agree with you with the ridicule as such: a 5% ancestry isnt much to boast about. Unless its some VERRY prominent and wellknown Ancestor. :)