A cat killed my kitten

matharaarachchi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We lost a kitten recently(and a dog too). We barely survived the loss as he was so dear to us. After some weeks we decided to adopt another kitten to ease our loss. So this monday we got another kitten. He was so cute and loyal even than the our previous kitten. Just imagine how the world's best cat supposed to be, then that will be my little kitten. He was so energetic and playful.

But it only lasts for 3 days. We found another cat sneeking into our home. So we were aware that this bustard cat was after our kitten. So we took extreme cautions and closed our every door and not letting our kitten out of our sight. Today my grandma open a window to let some wind come to her room for a minute and went to clean his litter box. It only took seconds. That bustard cat sneeked in from that window(I don't know how it jumped so high) and it grabbed my kitten by neck and stomach. We were able rescue him from it. But it's too late. He died on my hand. I saw it all. I'm still in shock. I don't know even what to think. It's ours bad luck distroying all the things we love.. we will  never bring another animal to this home again.

Brian007

Furmate and Famulus
Top Cat
Purraise
How truly awful, my heart breaks for you and tears well up in my eyes 

You must be in shock and experiencing three griefs all at once, I can't imagine how you're feeling.  I wish you all the love in the world 

I think that the murderous cat needs to be trapped as soon as possible and neutered.  I expect it is an intact tomcat who is aggressively territorial.  Can you find out who it belongs to and talk to them about this?  And if it doesn't belong to anyone, there might be a charity cat neutering program in your area who would trap him.  

I'm sure in time you will allow another kitty into your life, it sounds as though you have plenty of love and care to give 
  It is good that you have spoken of this here, I hope you will find comfort from it 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

matharaarachchi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It is not just territorial. It is eating kittens. There were many cases in our area reporting missing kittens. It is hard to catch it, it is finely grown up fast and sneeky. My poor kitten. [emoji]128543[/emoji]

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry. That was heartbreaking.

Maybe you should report that cat to Animal Control or whatever agency is in your area and let them handle it. That cat shouldn't be on the streets.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If a domestic animal can actually sneak into someone's home and kill a pet, it needs to be destroyed.  You need to call your local sheriff or animal control and insist on it. Any domestic animal that kills another domestic animal will turn to attacking humans next. Is there not a grownup or relative that has a trap or can get one, especially in the neighbor hood where this has happened more than once? I would hang a poster and ask. Or maybe arrange a neighborhood meeting. Something has to change. 

My heart goes out to you, I understand how terribly hard this is to witness something like this and have to go on with your life. The images are impossible to erase from your mind and feelings of guilt and helplessness go on for a long time. It was not something you could have prevented unless you kept that kitten by your side every minute of the day, and we know that is impossible. It was beyond your control so I hope you don't hold guilt for something you had no control over. Don't let a horrible monster keep you from the love of a pet, you know in your heart how wonderful that can be. But first you must eliminate the block to your having that beautiful relationship and the companionship a pet can give you. That sweet kitten would never want you to be so sad, he brought you love and hopes that you can share this legacy he left you with another to bring honor to his name,and meaning to his short life here on earth. I'll pray for you all, take care and know I care........RIP beautiful little one, you will never be forgotten and your sweet tiny soul will reside in a loving heart for evermore! 

jd shredds

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Wow, I am so sorry to hear about your loss of that helpless little kitten. How terrible. My heart goes out to you.

I agree with the above: That cat needs to be dealt with. It's clearly a danger, and if its doing that to your kitten, it's doing it to other small animals as well.

Last edited:

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Omg! I didn't know cats would do that to kittens? Why would they ? Do you think it thought it was playing with it ? There is a horrible cat who comes in our garden and we never let our gracie kitten out and I def won't now! So sorry for your loss

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Omg! I didn't know cats would do that to kittens? Why would they ? Do you think it thought it was playing with it ? There is a horrible cat who comes in our garden and we never let our gracie kitten out and I def won't now! So sorry for your loss
I don't think the OP is in the US, so they may not have an option. You could contact a shelter or a rescue to neuter the cat who comes into your garden, though.

I agree that it's much safer to keep your girl in regardless.

Last edited:

matharaarachchi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes. I too didn't know such cats exists. I heard of cat mothers who eats their new born children. But never a cat who acts like a serial killer.

matharaarachchi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Even though how much we tried we couldn't trap it yet.It seems like it still didn't know that my kitten died. We saw him trying to sneak in to our house twice today. How sick is that!? I do not have words describe my feelings.

Brian007

Furmate and Famulus
Top Cat
Purraise
If it has truly gone 'rogue' then it needs to be dealt with by your local government animal control, who should trap it and probably euthanise it.  Contact your local animal rescue shelter for advice on how to do this.  I agree with Di and Bob's suggestion of hanging posters with your contact details on them to find out more information about the behaviour and location of this dangerous cat.  This cat needs to be trapped as soon as possible to prevent any more attacks.  It doesn't sound like a problem that will just go away without your taking action.  Good luck 

SeventhHeaven

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So sorry for your loss so tragic!  Get screens on all your windows doors. Sorry to hear your dog and other kitten have passed  :(

That's allot to deal with in a very short time
  Touch base with some of your neighbors let people know it

needs to be caught. After reading its still trying to get back into your place after whats happened when you must yell and scream at it, this cat

is a sick cat!!

Last edited:

solomonar

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am very sorry to hear this. Little kitty... I hope it was fast enough at least.

I know it is difficult, but it sounds very un-usual to kill like this- one bite to the right spot - belly (correct me if  I am wrong).

I suspect it will be of utmost importance for some guardians and even scientist: do you have some pictures of the poor kitten after the tragic event? Ando the window that the aggressive cat jump over?

It may be very useful to know the details, for this not happening again to others. Sorry for the harsh question. I am with you. 

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
Very sorry to hear this and that you had to witness it, I know how traumatic it is to have a cat die in your arms, it really is heart wrenching and can take a toll on you mentally, so please give yourself time to heal. Very sorry to hear this little kitty had to leave like that, but hopefully something will be done about that cat just roaming around causing problems!

May your heart heal, and in time may you give your love to another cat in need, just make sure it is in a safe place and that also that cat is gone!

God Bless....

heathensservant

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That is so sad.  Don't give up on loving animals, though.  

Do you know the history of the house?  Perhaps this cat once lived there and sees it as his own home.  It's very odd for a cat to keep trying to get in some place where people have not been nice to it.n   And you've needed to not be nice to it......that's more than understandable.

I ask because this happened to me, though my little guy didn't die.  It did cost me several hundred in vet bills.  When I moved in I had my 10 year old fat lady cat and my 6 month old male cat.  Both were fixed, happy, healthy, and spoiled rotten.  It wasn't long before this big black male kept trying to get in the house and would attack my little boy cat.  I would yell at him, kick at him, get after him with a broom, dump water on him. everything to get him to run out of the house.  Once my little guy was hiding under the couch and this stray was trying to shove his huge body under there after him.  My son pulled him out by his hind legs and carried him out of the house like that, dangling from his back feet, afraid the cat would turn on him next.  Instead of going after the human that had a hold of him, that thing kept twisting and stretching my front legs towards the couch.  I would take clothes off the line and as I opened the door carrying the basket of laundry inside, he'd dart between my legs into the house.  Carrying groceries inside we'd have to keep an eye out for him or he'd dart  in between our feet.   Another time he clawed a hole through the window screen and got in that way.  The outside of the window is at least 5 feet from the ground and the outside ledge is only 2 inches deep for him to hold onto.  This shows how determined he was.  I think the only reason my little guy is still alive is because my old lady cat would get after the black one and kick his butt.  She had been a stray for years until she adopted me about 5 years ago.  And while she may have been smaller than blackie, she was a whole lot meaner.  :)

I finally got a picture of him sitting on the back porch and took it around to all of the neighbors.  After talking to a dozen or so I got the whole story.  The people that lived in the house before me had 2 large dogs and no cats.  They stayed here for 3 years.  The people before them had 6 kids, all grade to middle school age, they stayed for 4 years.  But before them, a little old lady lived here who had a big black cat.  She had lived in this house for decades and had the cat here for many years before she finally died here one day.  While taking care of all of the arrangements, cleaning out the house, etc, the family could never find the cat anywhere.

I think that old male cat has lived wild in the woods behind us for 7 years now, watching his home.  Finally, all the kids are gone, the dogs are gone, the house is safe for cats again, and it's just myself and my teenage son.  So he decided to claim his home again yet saw the young male as a threat to that claim.   Probably saw my old lady as a threat as well but she could hold her own,  

We were able to catch him and took him to a rescue center, explaining everything I'd learned about him and what I thought was going on.  I was told he was adopted by an old lady, is an indoor cat now and seems to be very happy.  I felt bad for him if he really did spend 7 years wanting his home back and would have taken him in.  But I couldn't have him here if he was going to keep attacking my babies.

So, anyway.  Long story not so short, perhaps something similar is going on with your invader.  

lisajo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Set a trap and turn it in to the authorities so you can get a kitten again.

lisajo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A cat mother will only kill it's young if she has distemper and is very ill.

A tomcat will kill young kittens outdoors to keep the female available for mating.

I know, it is terrible but big cats do it in the wild, tigers and lions.

Don't know about bears.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A cat mother will only kill it's young if she has distemper and is very ill.
A tomcat will kill young kittens outdoors to keep the female available for mating.
I know, it is terrible but big cats do it in the wild, tigers and lions.
Don't know about bears.
Mothers kill their kittens if they are very stressed. This could be from not feeling safe, or could be because they or the kittens are unwell.

You are correct about the males. They want to bring the females into heat again.