A cat found me. Need advice please.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lulubear

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I spoke to my neighbor today - she read my letter and came to visit me.

She said my Momma cat is part of a feral colony that lives in the backyard beside her, they are not in her yard. She said she spoke to the homeowners about the cats for me. They told her there are 7 kittens there with 2 Momma cats caring for the group. She said my Momma cat is one of them. The homeowners also feed the cats.

I'm kind of in shock, as this isn't the story I expected to hear. Yes, I see two cats coming and going from that house all the time. But I have never seen my Momma cat go to that neighbor's house or yard - ever. I have never seen her with any other cats - ever. She is always solo and roaming in a different direction than there.

I'm going to try following Momma cat again today.

She seems to only be leaving her kittens once a day and coming to me for one very large meal. I give her as much as she wants.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hmm. It does not sound like she is eating anywhere else to me.

I guess folowing her is the only way. You may have to ask the neighbors with the feral cats if you can look in their yard.

Your cat may be cutting under the neighbors' fence but ultimately heading off somewhere else. Your cat also does not appear feral, just stray.

I wish you luck today!

lulubear

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I never did find the kittens.

I posted notices, talked to neighbours and posted on a lost and found website too. No replies or help given. 

So yesterday when she came to eat, a feral tomcat followed her and hid in my bushes. He was twice her size and had quite a few battle scars. I chased him away. However, when she left my house, he found her again and started following her. I was afraid she would lead him straight to her kitten nest as she was heading in her usual direction.

I did not see her again until this morning. She came for breakfast at her usual time.  Instead of eating quickly and leaving, she stayed with me. She stayed at my house all morning. I hung out with her outside as much as I could. Once, I went inside to do some cooking.  Then, I heard some strange noises. It was her...she was crying or groaning...a strange sound and I didn't know what it meant. I went outside to sit with her. Then I found the feral tomcat - the same one as yesterday - in my bushes. I chased him off again and my little stray kitty ran off too.

So, here are my questions:

Can I assume that she is no longer caring for the kittens because something happened to them? Her behavior is indicating to me that something has changed, since she is staying closer to me now, instead of only coming for food.

If she comes back again, can I rescue her now? I have a large dog crate set up with bed, litter box and food. I can bring her inside no problem.  I was just waiting before, because I didn't want to separate her from her kittens.

What do you think?

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If a tomcat is hanging around her and following her I would suspect she is either in heat or about to go into heat. And he can smell it on her. If you have never heard a queen calling for a tomcat it can be load and hoarse. If he did mate her while you were not watching she might have been crying out for that reason. Intact male cats have small barbs on their penis. It hurts when he withdraws from the queen, and it is this that actually triggers ovulation.

lulubear

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hmm. If she is in heat or about to be in heat, then I guess she is not nursing her kittens.

Then I should go ahead and bring her inside and get a a vet visit?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
L lulubear

No, do not rescue her yet. Sometimes cats will stay away for a few hours after the first couple of days. I am sure she is still nursing her kittens. You need to leave her be for now.

Last edited: