A Canadian Thread? do I dare?.

bumpy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Anyone fancy for some timbits?

Here's a nice Canadian joke.

Canadian Temperature Chart
1. 50° Fahrenheit (10° C) Californians shiver uncontrollably, Canadians plant gardens. >>>>>
2. 35° Fahrenheit (1.6° C) Italian cars won't start, Canadians drive with the windows down. > > > >
3. 32° Fahrenheit (0° C) American water freezes, Canadian water gets thicker. > > > >
4. 0° Fahrenheit (-17.9° C) New York City landlords finally turn on the heat. > >Canadians have the last barbecue season. > > > >
5. -60° Fahrenheit (-51° C) Mt. St. Helens freezes, Canadians Girl Guides sell cookies door-to-door. > > > >
6. -100° Fahrenheit (-73° C) Santa Claus abandons the North Pole, Ottawa canal opens for skating. > > > >
7. -173° Fahrenheit (-114° C) Ethyl alcohol freezes, Canadians get frustrated when they can't thaw the keg. > > > >
8. -460° Fahrenheit (-273° C) Absolute zero; all atomic motion stops, Canadians start saying "cold eh?" > > > >
9. -500° Fahrenheit (-295° C) Hell freezes over. Ottawa Senators win Stanley Cup.

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dana

My mother in law wont come and visit because she thinks the "States" are full of killers , and shes afraid of a terror attack....I live in east nowhere Vermont not top on a terror hit list ...are these fears common in Canada?
Dana - most people I know are not afraid of travellingto the States. Personally I do it often (especially for lacrosse games).

I think Corner Gas is on Wednesday or Thursday at 8 and I think it is also on Saturday or Sunday as a repeat!

sammie5

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think that people are afraid of travelling to the States because they watch American news. Where there are always stories about fires, or home invasions, or helicopter night shots chasing bad guys, or the latest terrorist alert.

Our news is much more boring.

(Oh, and its Newfoundland. One word. Pronounced NEW'-f'n-l'nd. With the accent on the first syllable)

lynx

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was born in Ottawa, and currently split my time between Guelph and Brampton.

What I don't get about Canadian Bacon is why Canadians feel the need to talk about it all the time like it's our greatest accomplishment. I like regular bacon better anyways.

I do say aboot, and most of you guys prolly do too. I had to listen to myself say it a few times to realise what those Americans were talking about. But it's not really pronounced "aboot" it's more like "abOWt."

I never watched hockey untill this winter passed, but my boyfriend has forced me to watch enough times that now I'm a Leaf fan. If there's a game on and it's not the Leafs I can't bring myself to care about it.

I think Americans in general have more fear about terrorism and violence than Canadians do. I guess that goes with the territory, but I don't know anyone scared to travel there. Except maybe Detroit. Detroit seemed a bit scary to me when I drove through there. Any place that lets you run a red light at night so you don't get jumped has gotta have some issues.

There are three cats in my home, including my bengal Toby.

sammie5

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Lynx

But it's not really pronounced "aboot" it's more like "abOWt."
Exactly. Except in Welland and Niagara Falls, where they do say aboot.

And why the fuss over Canadian Bacon (Which I still maintain does not really exist) when we have lovely lovely poutine to fuss about. Mmmmm!!!!

lynx

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
MMMM Pouuuutine!!!!!

Americans look at you cockeyed when you ask for gravy with your fries, but c'mon it makes sense. And with cheese it's just deadly!

donnageorge

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Lynx

MMMM Pouuuutine!!!!!

Americans look at you cockeyed when you ask for gravy with your fries, but c'mon it makes sense. And with cheese it's just deadly!
A co-worker in our Montreal office says there's poutine that has onions and other veggies on it as well. Maybe it's a Montreal thing.

Mmm, scrumptious.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

andrea77

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
he he he.. good temperature joke!!!

I had poutine today.. veggie poutine with mushroom gravy.. YUM.....