A Bit Of A Crisis

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Let me preface this by saying I am NOT asking for money, just ideas.

I start my new job Monday, but it may be too late. I normally pay my rent on the first of every month, but now I don't have enough. My electric bill is due by the 17th.

I don't know what I'm going to do. I've never had so little money that I couldn't make rent.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can try. Since I'm going to be out of the apartment longer each day though, I won't be able to catch her in the office. She's been horrible about picking up her phone.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, most landlords will give you a break, at least if you don't try that too often. If you have a good history of paying on time there's no reason they wouldn't. It's a lot better than sending the rent in late without saying anything.

And if it is late and they don't agree to a grace period, well, they can't kick you out for being late one month. If it's an apartment complex probably half the payments come in late anyway. . .

Same thing with the electric company. Call them, ask what to do. They will usually give you a little extra time if necessary. But call them, talk to them! Most people don't bother calling.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Reminds me of the time I came home from work and found an eviction notice in the mailbox. I had mailed the rent check, but they never received it. I was boiling mad when I went over to the office, but it got worked out.

I do agree the best thing is to explain it to the landlord. I think most of them are reasonable, and if you haven't made it a habit of being late with the rent, I think they'll be okay with it.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I'm sorry. What a stressful situation to be in. :hugs:

We got emergency help for a relative in Arkansas with short-term utility bill help through a community program. If you scroll to the bottom of this website, there's a list of agencies by state that can sometimes offer short-term help. There may be some agency in your community that can help.

Q2U

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Speak with the persons or agencies to whom you owe money. Speak honestly, respectfully, openly and with humility and I am certain that they will find a way to help you.

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry. What a stressful situation to be in. :hugs:

We got emergency help for a relative in Arkansas with short-term utility bill help through a community program. If you scroll to the bottom of this website, there's a list of agencies by state that can sometimes offer short-term help. There may be some agency in your community that can help.
Thank you SO much for that site! I've sent an email to North Central West Virginia Community Action.

foxden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Katie M Katie M
Even if you can't talk with the landlord, write a letter.
Spell out your problem. Include that you are starting a new job, and tell them how you will catch up on the rent.
You always want to do this before the bill is due.
You need to do the same thing with the electric bill. Call first and find out the procedure to set a payment plan. Write it out and send that in.

Do NOT overpromise a payback schedule that will cause you to miss one of the payments. That is a much larger problem because you did not fulfil your original agreement.

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you have anything of value you don't mind parting with to bring in a little extra cash to just get you out of this situation?

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you have anything of value you don't mind parting with to bring in a little extra cash to just get you out of this situation?
Well, I have some glass. As reluctant as I am to part with it, I may have to :frown:

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My father has come through for me. My electric bill payment is now in the mail, and I'll get my rent check in as soon as the office is open.

I have never been so relieved.