A better food like Hills I/D?

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Betty White just loves Hills I/D chicken stew with vegetables. I’m not crazy about the carb content. I’m also fairly certain her coat was feeling much better on a different food. But we can’t get that food anymoreand so we’re back to Hills I/D.

I’d love to try her on raw food. But she’s taking pred right now. I will speak with the IM probably tomorrow and ask what dose she needs to be tapered to before I can consider raw.

Is there another chicken stew (chunks in gravy) out there that she may enjoy that’s not loaded with carbs?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Canned Cat food Spreadsheets

This chart isn't particularly current but it might be a starting point.

Also I don't have the numbers for a side by side comparison but I believe Koha has a variety and weruva pouch what a crock chicken stew might work.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fancy Feast Gravy Lovers looks similar and looks like a better recipe on the macros and the ingredients. But oof! At 0.79 calories per gram, that's not a very filling food. She would have to love it 20% more than the I/D (0.97 calories/gram.)

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't remember if Betty white is a big eater. One of my cats eats nutro perfect portions cuts in gravy chicken and turkey. Wellness core hearty chicken and turkey cuts also has cuts in gravey with chicken that she likes.nutro 2.65 oz per portion,enough for her, wellness 5.5 oz can

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I spoke with the IM today. He said because Betty has been at 5 mg pred for awhile now, because she’s been symptom free for awhile now, and because my previous attempts to change her diet haven’t gone so well, he agreed that we should simply take her temperature, so to speak, with the food she’s eating and seems to be doing alright on. It’s my hope that we caught this soon enough that simply getting her some relief with the pred and off her former kibble-addict diet will be enough. At least for now. We will wait until after this week’s heat wave and taper her pred dose by 25% next week. We can revisit the food change if and when we hit a wall with the pred taper: e.g. symptoms return and/or appetite craters.