A behavior that MUST STOP, but how to do it?

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If I was a cat, I'd say, I'm hurting and want help and am getting mad because you aren't understanding this. Plz try a vet visit. She may be hurting or need kitty Prozac, even.

My other suggestion, which may it may not be right, would be to ignore her entirely for a bit. But that's only a last resort. Good luck!

maureen brad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have to tell you that you cannot punish a cat. those methods train her to be aggressive. When a cat bites like that or scratches you must actually end contact sooner than you want to. It is a reaction to stimulus. The simple truth is cats do as they please. You have to make her want to do what pleases you. That only happens when it is appealing to her. toss her treats etc. Play with her often in place of extended physical contact. make her every encounter with you wonderful for her. Some cats have that reaction when you pull away, the answer may be to pull away sooner than she expects. Maybe pick her up while petting and walk her to the bed etc and set her down. She won't expect for you to do that and you can then step back before she can swat. Then toss her a treat of toy to distract her and hopefully prevent the usual reaction. I wish you luck.

maureen brad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Sorry, that should read toss her a treat OR a toy.Make sure when you play it is with toys and never your hands.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

unseen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The novelty of the video seems to have worn off and a lot of the feisty and aggressive behavior remains. Most of the time she's a very normal cat. Sleeping, playing on her own, investigating every grocery bag and package that comes into the apartment. Sleeping next to me. So much of the aggression seems associated with what she seems to perceive as the withdrawal of affection and, sometimes, when I simply can't play. Some of it, I'm sure, is an attempt to get me to play, but the rest of it is clearly due to her being irritated and angry when I have to put her down or have her get off my lap.

I'm still at a loss and have some brand new bite and scratch marks to show for it.

One thing I am doing is not doing anything that might qualify as retaliation after an attack.That may eventually extinguish the episodes where she wants to entice me into play. BTW, she clearly thinks of a squirt from the water bottle as play, so that's being put away.  I may have to start being sure to wear long sleeve shirts when I go out. That'll work during the cold weather. This makes me realize that this wasn't a problem just a few months ago. 

Last edited:

kyface

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat is the same way. I really have no idea what to do most the time either, I've tried nearly everything. I assume he's probably bored out of his mind.

I can't just get another cat either, so I try to play with him as much as I can but it seems to never be enough. I've heard that time-outs can work. I do it sometimes, but my cat usually just goes right back to being naughty.

Seeing as your cat values attention so much, perhaps you should try the time-out method. Maybe set up a room with toys and such, kind of like how you would with a child, so she's not just sitting by the door meowing. Altought she probably will for a while. I wouldn't leave her for more than five minuets. Maybe she'll get the picture.

Good luck