A behavior question

richs

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a not-so-feral-anymore male cat. He's part of a colony I care for. Recently he's taken to hooking both front claws into my leg, and looking like he's about to use me as a scratching post. Is this common?
It's not an aggressive move because when I discourage it he just rubs against me, purring. This is a new thing and I was wondering what it is all about.
He sometimes disappears for days and it was only after his most recent return has he started this. He also came back a little smack happy. If I move my leg before he's done rubbing I may get a light smack.
Any info would be appreciated.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Some cats just do what you are describing, and I look at it as their way to bond with you. If he is doing it, he really isn't all that feral anymore.

I have 2 cats that do that to me (Stumpy and Muddy). They do it to get my attention.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

richs

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks...Yup, not so feral anymore. It took about a year to get this far. Now, he just follows me around making noises...meows, chirps & purrs.
thanks again

katkuddler

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Since he isn't being aggressive it's likely his way of hugging. You pulling away may seem to him a form of rejection. That's the time to get touchy and feely, which to them is bonding. Mine do that and may just knead and purr.