A 2nd cat?

i am furniture

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am thinking of getting a 2nd cat. Right now the only thing that has been keeping me from doing that is the space I have. But as of Sept. 1st I am going to be moving into a 2 bedroom apt. So there will be more than enough room for 2 cats. Now question is do I let Lightning (my current cat) claim everything then introduce a 2nd cat. Or get the 2nd cat right away before Lightning claims everything so they can sort out who claims what?

Thanks

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gosh, that's a difficult question!

Having just recently moved myself, I would say let Lightning adjust first - maybe for a month or so. Cats find change rather difficult, so it would be best not to upset Lightning too much. By doing the adjustments over a period of time, I think it might be better.

However, I am no expert and others may have better ideas for you!

Congratulations, though, on moving and the prospect of a new addition!

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm going to throw out a different opinion. When you take your current cat to the new place it's going to be a stressful time either way. So I think it will be easier to introduce the second cat if you bring him in right away after you move, and I mean like the same day, so that Lightning doesn't have a chance to establish your new place as his territory. If the two cats are both new in the new territory, I think that Lightning is less likely to see the new cat as an intruder. Just something to think about from the cats' point of view.

bigkittendaddy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by coaster

I'm going to throw out a different opinion. When you take your current cat to the new place it's going to be a stressful time either way. So I think it will be easier to introduce the second cat if you bring him in right away after you move, and I mean like the same day, so that Lightning doesn't have a chance to establish your new place as his territory. If the two cats are both new in the new territory, I think that Lightning is less likely to see the new cat as an intruder. Just something to think about from the cats' point of view.
I am going to side with Coaster on this one. With you moving that will stress Lightning, and a move from a shelter to your home will stress the new cat also so I think let them both adjust together..

kisakitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Me too! In past, I have only had one master (lol!), it has been only recently that I am attempting to have two around. Well, since you said you were moving, I'd wait until after. Your cat might get stressed with the move as it is, adding another cat, this is our second week (going on third) with the new addition, and they are slowly getting better, but we moved in here with only the one cat, and she hid for three days before she'd come out. So, it depends on you, your cat & so on. Good luck on your decision, it's not an easy one!