95 people Gone

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I saw the club owner, on MSNBC, tonight. He was boo-hooing and saying, "I never gave them permission, for fireworks." Despite the sobbing and gnashing of teeth, there wasn't a tear in sight. Can you say "CYA"?

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yup, Cindy that's exactly what they've been doing. I noticed that the owners didn't even have a statement of their condolences for the families and friends of those lost in the fire, just "We didn't do it!"

Personally, I think that Great White's tour management were a bunch of hacks. From my sources, since hubby is involved in the music industry to a point and works directly with this type of band (80's metal), they were a new outfit. I can't believe anyone working with the band would have OK'ed the use of pyro in that environment, with the soundproofing right there, the suspended ceiling, no fire extinguishers right there, and in such an old building that the new fire codes didn't apply. The band, as well as the fans, were in direct danger by using those things there. There were a lot of serious mess ups (to say it politely).

I work for a company who designs fire protection systems (and HVAC and plumbing), and we do retrofits all the time. What antiquated law allows a bar NOT to have a sprinkler system because it was built in the 1950s? That building was engulfed in a matter of minutes, and I just don't understand how it possibly passed fire code a few months ago.

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There is no national standard. My ex is a retired firefighter and was always griping about that.

There was a big concert, here Saturday night. The building was built in 1903 and has been renovated several times. The club management decided, at the last minute, to move the show into the parking lot. It cost them an extra $2000 to put up a fence, rent a generator and lay in extra security. Because it was "off-site", they couldn't serve any alcohol. I think that it was worth it, for the safety.

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Just wanted to say how sorry I am for the families. It was on the news over here too - not in detail but you don't need the details to see what a tragedy this was

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kimward34

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I still haven't heard anything about the lead guitarist...have you?

>^,,^<
Kim

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
So far, they've only identified 15 bodies. Using DNA and dental records, its estimated to take about a week, for positive IDs.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kimward34

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not good.... doesn't this investigation seem impossible? I mean, I know it's possible to identify each person but this whole tragedy must be overwhelming to the people working on the case. I heard today that some of the bodies have been identified but they can't find the families...how awful. They must be missed by somebody...still rambling…

>^,,^<
Kim