90 degree temps, cat dazed and listless

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Today we had a surprise of 84 degrees in April!
My poor cat loves the sunporch and it must have been well above 90 out there in the blazing sun.
But I couldn;t find her in all her usual spots. Finally I found her wedged in tight behind the AC units I store out there for the winter.\I finally coaxed her inside where it was cooler and brought the tower fan in that was on the sunporch.
I gave her some nice fresh cool water and placed the fan right in front of the bed where she wa, but she is so listless.
What else can I do to cool her down besides using the fan and giving her cold water?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks. She is a bit brighter now. I gave her a cold damp cloth wipe down,but she won't let me get underneath..she is very modest.😲
She ate a little bit and I am chilling a treat in the fridge.
She is watching cat tv on the bed in front of the fan,but still not back 100%.
I knew dogs pant like mad, but it seems harder to discern with a cat. She would rather hide when not feeling right.

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Anyone have a frozen cat treat for cats...like a frozen chicken broth cube or something more creative?

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
GranolaLouise GranolaLouise Do you know how to do the pinch test for hydration?

When it's hot you can always add extra water to their cat food.

For a frozen treat you can put some wet food through a blender with lots of water and then freeze it.

IF she does have heat stroke though, it's better to give cool things and not frozen things her system is not shocked by the cold.

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
she is back to her self eating and especially drinking. SHe is not doing any zoomies today and is moving slow..but so am I because it feels tropical this morning. I think we are on our way back, but this heat is not helping. We'd both be miserable if we lived in a steamy state where heat and humidity were the norm!
I will lay off the frozen..I can see where it would shock her stomach..cool treats for us. Meanwhile, I am going to make myself some juice popcicles today.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
she is back to her self eating and especially drinking. SHe is not doing any zoomies today and is moving slow..but so am I because it feels tropical this morning. I think we are on our way back, but this heat is not helping. We'd both be miserable if we lived in a steamy state where heat and humidity were the norm!
I will lay off the frozen..I can see where it would shock her stomach..cool treats for us. Meanwhile, I am going to make myself some juice popcicles today.
Yes stay cool!

You can put her bed in a freezer for a bit if you want. Or a blanket. She will move close to it once she's ready.

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad I caught this thread when randomly browsing. Thanks, all, for the information.

I obviously know what heat stroke is, and know it happens with cats/dogs as well as people, but never thought of it once before, as I live in Wisconsin.

But we are having record-high temps increasingly, and it's a possible circumstance. My cat is indoor-only, but it's still theoretically possible.

It's good to know what to do.