9 Weeks Old Kitten In Pain - Can Not Longer Stand Up

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fosterella

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you very much for your overwhelming support and comfort. We miss him very dearly so does him mom. I will always remember the feel of his very unique soft fur. He had loads of cuddles at the clininc as they all loved him -who wouldn't.
IMG_6203.JPG

fosterella

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This morning it looks like the sister is walking funny. Very much the way our little guy was walking before we even suspected anything.
Is it even possible? Can they all develop the same problem?

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am heartbroken and I feel for you fosterella facing another little one with symptons similar to those of her brother you have just lost. It would seem to confirm a genetical problem as suspected by MistyDawn in his post N° 2. I hope this will help the vets to diagnose the problem and treat it. Please keep in touch.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry you and the little family are going through this. You gave him the greatest gift you could. More, recognize that you are still giving the gift of taking the pain of loss to spare them pain I, too, am grateful you found them and were able to give him a more peaceful death than the one in the wild. I hope things are better with his sister, but am still grateful they are in your care.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I suspect calici virus. This can be overcome with antibiotics and steroids.

Read about it here:

https://vcahospitals.com/know-your-pet/feline-calicivirus-infection

It is certainly worth putting the kitten on a regime of antibiotics and cortisone and giving the situation time to see if it passes. It is viral, not genetic, and can take about a month to run its course.

Calici virus is not uncommon in kittens and can hit them hard, but can be overcome.

What symptoms are you seeing in this kitten?

fosterella

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks you very much. I really apreciate your kind support. I need loads right now.
I will be checking the link now.
I think mom could be in heat. She is constantly meowing really loudly + she is trying to escape her room. She'll be fixed on Thursday. Only then because I want her to be spayed at some place we know and I only have transportation for her on Thursday.
The little guy's sister will be going to the vet as well on the same day, so she can be fully checked.
Apart from walking funny, I cannot see anynother obvious symptoms in this kitten right now. She is the one I could only take blurry photos of her as she was constantly on the run. Tonight she stayed on my laps during quite some time something she would have never done before as she was far too busy being active.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Spinal abnormalities can be inherited, so if she is walking funny or you feel anything unusual about her spine, it would be a good idea to have her x-rayed.

fosterella

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I dropped everyone at the clinic this morning.
Mom is currently being spayed. The kittens will be checked / x-ray tonight.
On Monday the brother has started to walk as if he was old as well. I felt very depressed. It has been really hard on us emotionally especially as the mom has been calling her lost kitten until yesterday.
At this stage I supect everything, even FIP as their belly looks bloated as well now.
Fingers crossed they can be helped. Please, can I ask everyone to keep them in their thoughts?

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are very much in my thoughts fosterella. I am sorry you are going through such worrying moments. Whatever the odds these kittens are fortunate to have you caring for them and giving them every chance to be treated as needed.

fosterella

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sadly, I am afraid this is when this thread ends... with the too short life of the kittens.

On the X-ray, both kittens, like their brother have a deformed thin spine. The ginger girl is even worse than the one we lost last week.
Vets think of a problem with calcium which doesn't make sense considering the quality of food they had including their mom's milk. It looks like a calcium absorbtion problem.
The mother had an x-ray as well and her spine is normal. I don't know if it excludes genetic?

We are devastated, we don't understand how in 3 weeks time we went from 3 perfectly healthy kittens to 3 dead ones.

We are picking up the mother tomorrow. It will be very hard for both her and us.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry for your loss. I'm glad you could give them the life you did and send them to the bridge with as little suffering as possible. I pray for your peace and their mother's.

marmoset

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've recently lost a whole litter of kittens and so I really feel your sadness. It's just terrible...a terrible thing to go through. It sound's like you did wonderfully for these babies though. I know it doesn't help to hear that but it is the truth. Right now, focus on the momma cat. Improving her life is a good area to focus on. That's how I ultimately got through losing the babies. Getting momma cat spayed and securing or helping her find a permanent home is going to be healing for you.