9 week old kittens with diarrhea

kiwi32

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello. I need some much sought after advice. I am a foster for a kitten rescue and currently have 3 out of the 5 kittens from the same litter sick with diarrhea. There is no blood in stool. They are around 9 weeks old and 2 of them were adopted out at 8 weeks. I checked with the owners of the 2 adopted, and they are doing well with no fecal issues. For these three, I took them to adoption, and that same night they came back with diarrhea which turned into liquid stool. One vomited Saturday night, one on Sunday, and one yesterday. They each have vomited once and not more. Two of the kittens were lethargic up until this morning when they were playing with toys. The 3rd remained very active. I took them all to the vet on Sunday where they had a fecal which came back negative. However, they were all prescribed Albon and Panacur. I actually started both meds on Saturday since I have it readily available through the rescue. They were also given a/d wet food. I am also giving them pedialyte and mixing it in wet food along with rice cereal. They all have healthy appetites so no issues there. I have also been giving them Sub-Q fluid twice a day to help with hydration. I’ve also been giving them 1 cc of propectalin twice a day since yesterday. My questions—how long does Albon take to work? Could it be something else? They are eating and playing fine but still leaking poop everywhere—what should I do? If I kennel them, they stress themselves out wanting to get out and if I let them out they potty EVERYWHERE—any suggestions? A person also brought me another litter of 4 babies which are being kept separate—can that cause the 3 kitties to be stressed to the point of diarrhea? They seem to be okay in terms of behavior.

Both litters combo tested negative
3 Kittens have:
--had first round of shots
--dewormed 11 days ago
--been on Albon and Panacure for 4 days
--Subq fluids twice a day
--1cc Propectalin twice a day
--Fortiflora mixed in food.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I honestly don't know the answer to your question. Can you call the Vet back that saw them on Sunday and advise that they are no better?  I would certainly think there should be some improvement by now, however, you DID say they actually tested negative for the things they are being treated for, so it might be something else....maybe T-Foetus?  I'm guessing if you are fostering, they are not going to pay for a PCR to determine if it's T-Foetus?  

Could the A/D be too rich for them?  (although that would not explain the diarrhea in the first place).

Personally, I don't think 9 weeks old kittens would be stressed out from other kittens in your house, NOT to the point of having leaky diarrhia... and certainly not all 3 of them 

Rather than kennel these three, do you have just one room you can keep them in until they stools firm up?  Maybe a small bedroom or large bathroom?