9 week old and 9 month old, friends or foes?

kgropp16

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
About a week ago I adopted a two month old kitten who I've named Moscato. My roommates and I currently have one other cat who's about 9 months old, Winston. Moscato is a little timid and takes a little while to feel comfortable in new spaces, but she's very playful. Winston is playful as well and since he is still very young, I figured introducing him to a new friend wouldn't be too much of a chore.

Winston hissed at Moscato a few times through the door the first time he encountered her. He makes his happy-sounding chirping meows whenever he knows she's around. Sometimes they can be in the same space without any trouble. Moscato will eat and drink with him within inches of her. But when Winston tries to play, Moscato's ears typically go flat and she takes off running. She'll usually scoot under a small space where he won't fit, but it's easy enough to lure her back out into the open, with or without a toy or treat, so I can't really tell if she's afraid of him or if that's her way of playing, too?

Winston likes to pounce on her and bite and lick her neck, sides, or wherever and Moscato doesn't seem to enjoy it very much. Winston is neutured and has been for a long time. Moscato will be spayed in about two months when she's old enough. Winston follows her around everywhere now and I feel bad because she wants to explore the rest of the house but he makes it hard for her. 

I don't know. Part of me feels like I should separate them from each other completely and start fresh, but Moscato is starting to hate being kept in one room all the time. Another part of me feels like they just need to continue to get used to being around each other. Honestly, though, I'm at a loss and I definitely don't want to keep going down the wrong path if that's where I'm headed. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Hi @kgropp16 .. Welcome to TCS and sorry for the delay in answering.

I'm a really big advocate of systematic introductions.. when they're done slowly and carefully, things can work out a lot better.

Winston sounds to me like a typical teenage boy who's having a great time with the poor little new guy, who doesn't think it's great at all.  I would say to let it go, but Moscato doesn't sound happy.. ears flat is not play.

Have a read through this while we see if anyone else can offer some help.

[article="32680"]How To Successfully Introduce Cats The Ultimate Guide​[/article]  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kgropp16

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Things seem to be going a little bit better now! Winston likes to play a bit too rough for Moscato's liking sometimes, but I think she's learning how to defend herself a bit more, lol. She'll only ever hiss at him if they're wrestling and he does something she doesn't like. For the most part though they seem to be enjoying each others' company which makes me so happy! It's great to see them hanging out together and every now and then Winston will give baby Moscato a bath. :-)

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
That  is good .. glad they're making friends.