9 week Kitten one eye teary

skrumtuoscatlayd

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi I have 9week kitten who started developing teary eye on one eye since beginning of this week She is playing fine and eating well but she's letting off discharges and it doesnt look well. I tried searching the cause of this on Google but couldn't seem to find the solution. I dont think it is conjuctivits as if it was, other kittens wouldve quickly got the same eye but they were all fine. I think it might be more of a virus or bacterial infection shes trying to fight off.. or foreign particle got in her eye?
does anyone know what might have caused this and treatment?
20230223_144728.jpg

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Try treating with Terramycin. It’s an antibiotic ointment for ophthalmic bacterial infections. You can order it online from Chewy.

If that doesn’t help, it may be viral (from a cold) and just need to run its course. Eyes can also be treated with prescription corticosteroid drops that would require a vet visit.

Keep the eyes clean by wiping with a soft cloth, and give it time. If it gets worse, see a vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

skrumtuoscatlayd

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Try treating with Terramycin. It’s an antibiotic ointment for ophthalmic bacterial infections. You can order it online from Chewy.

If that doesn’t help, it may be viral (from a cold) and just need to run its course. Eyes can also be treated with prescription corticosteroid drops that would require a vet visit.

Keep the eyes clean by wiping with a soft cloth, and give it time. If it gets worse, see a vet.
Thanks for your reply. Do you think giving her oral antibiotic amoxicillin also work if it is bacterial infection?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I think it’s best to use an eye medicine if possible. I think oral amoxicillin would work if the kitten has yellow or green nasal discharge. Is the kitten any better today?

skrumtuoscatlayd

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think it’s best to use an eye medicine if possible. I think oral amoxicillin would work if the kitten has yellow or green nasal discharge. Is the kitten any better today?
She doesn't have much nasal discharge but one eye is really watery and letting off yellowish discharge, just one eye and I don't think it is improving even though she was on amoxicillin for 2 days

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Sounds like an eye infection. Please get a tube of Terramycin from your vet or online. It should resolve the issue.

skrumtuoscatlayd

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sounds like an eye infection. Please get a tube of Terramycin from your vet or online. It should resolve the issue.
But I remember that before she had her eye like this she sneezed couple of times so it could be a virus like cold as you said
The reason I don't think it is eye infection is because she isn't squinting her affected eye and it is not red or pink like pink eye should look like but it is just teary and discharge that is coming out is clear like tears but when it dries it leaves yellow/black crust on the corner
20230225_062439.jpg

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It’s your call — yellow or green discharge will indicate infection. Clear may be a cold, which is usually viral.

NekoM

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sarthur2 has given some very good advice, and hopefully as a long term owner of cats with big eyes i can expand a little more. The area tearing up has a tear duct behind it, with a lot of white cats the tear duct develops an obstruction which backs up and then overflows out. It can get infected if not cleaned properly, boric acid and a cotton round works best. If your seeing yellow it’s a mild infection, green/yellow is a little more serious. Get a vet to check it over, it’s a really simple eye drops/black light test.

NekoM

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Terramycin is a good call, it’s that first line of defense that can save things from getting worse.

skrumtuoscatlayd

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I thought things were getting better as tears seem to be drying out yesterday. I assumed that it was indeed a virus and it is getting close to an end but today I found her affected eye looking like pink eye and letting off lot of discharges as usual(which is clear but is yellowish when dried - does this indicate that discharge is yellow?)
I really don't know what's going on..
I cannot get terramycin where I live
If there is human alternative eye drops I can give I can try get that
Would normal saline solution work if I can't get the medicine?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I thought things were getting better as tears seem to be drying out yesterday. I assumed that it was indeed a virus and it is getting close to an end but today I found her affected eye looking like pink eye and letting off lot of discharges as usual(which is clear but is yellowish when dried - does this indicate that discharge is yellow?)
I really don't know what's going on..
I cannot get terramycin where I live
If there is human alternative eye drops I can give I can try get that
Would normal saline solution work if I can't get the medicine?
Saline shouldnt harm (if you dare to use it on humans in the eye, so its surely ok for cats too)

But as Abbys Mom says, the best advice now is to take her to a vet.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
A vet can tell if it's infected and treat it. The area needs to stay clean so wet a cloth. If you try to treat something without knowing the cause it could get worse

skrumtuoscatlayd

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Crossing out virus and eye infection, I can only conclude that it is caused by tear duct obstruction

skrumtuoscatlayd

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would not rule out infection. Please see a vet.
I did see the vet but they told me it will go away on its own but she still has teary eye in same one eye and it looks like it won't ever go away on its own
Now it's been almost 4 weeks and 8 feel helpless
I need to rehome her but cannot because of her eye

Last edited by a moderator:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Teary eyes DO happen, and if there is no other problem, alike bacteria infection, its sometimes feasible to let it be.

One of our residents, do tears sometimes. We were at the vet, whom examined him, and told; he isnt suffering from this... Its the tear channel overflowing.
Its possible to help surgically, but its not necessary, he doesnt not suffer....

I suppose this your vet decidet it was similiar with your kitten...

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You can re-home her. Just let potential adopters know that she has a clean bill of health and an occasional teary eye that poses no issues.

This is not an uncommon issue with dogs and cats. Eyes need wiping at times. Pet stores sell pet wipes for eyes. Humans must wipe their own eyes and clean their own ears.

As long as there is no underlying infection — and it sounds like there is not — then life goes on. She is adoptable!

Good luck! Keep us posted!

skrumtuoscatlayd

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You can re-home her. Just let potential adopters know that she has a clean bill of health and an occasional teary eye that poses no issues.

This is not an uncommon issue with dogs and cats. Eyes need wiping at times. Pet stores sell pet wipes for eyes. Humans must wipe their own eyes and clean their own ears.

As long as there is no underlying infection — and it sounds like there is not — then life goes on. She is adoptable!

Good luck! Keep us posted!
But if I don't wipe her eyes every 6 hours she develops red staining around her eye which make her looks like she has serious underlying health issues and it might lead to secondary infection around the eye because of moisture. It is true that she is all healthy apart from the eye and she displays no discomfort but I really don't know why she suddenly developed this condition. Her both eyes use to look clean until she turned 9 weeks.
Is it a genetical defect that will stay with her forever?