9 Mth Torti Sweetheart... All Joints Are Deteriorating

SweetFacesRescue

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This kitten is under the care of a vet. I'm just looking for anyone that has experienced this issue... or has suggestions on what we can test for next.

I am the founder of a cat/kitten rescue.
Aug 2017 ... 3 week old female... huge open wound right hip...
Looked like an abscess that ruptured---but you could nearly see the bone.
X ray at that time showed no broken bone.

2 months later - wound healed --- xray showed infection had eaten into her joint and bone.
Discussed amputation as a possibility in future.

She and I fell in love and I decided to add her to my family.

May 15th - 2018 Starting to limp.... took her in for xray of hip...it showed
hind leg is about half the size it should be... no joint... Limping is permanent due to the damage infection had caused.... amputation is still a possibility.... but right now she is active.

2 days later we are back at the vet as she wont place weight on her front left paw. X ray of limb shows elbow joint is deteriorated and bone mass is darkening. We xrayed every joint.... they are all doing the same thing.... deteriorating.

Complete blood panel looked great.
Sent urinalysis off yesterday to test for fungal infection.
if negative, our next step will be a bone scraping to send to pathology -
but vet is concerned her bone may break in the process.

She is very healthy at 6lbs 4oz.... beautiful healthy coat - and appetite. No weight loss at all.
Vet has mentioned bone cancer.....

JeanieC

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I agree with furballsmom. Vet school may be privy to more information and/or have more options available than your local vet. Is there a veterinarian school nearby? I am fortunate to live about halfway between 2 good ones and wouldn’t hesitate to take my pet to either one.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So sorry that your little girl, and you are going through this. I will keep you guys in my thoughts and prayers. I dont have any advice, just wanted you to know i care.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SweetFacesRescue

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Negative for fungal infection.
This morning she is having surgery to have the bone scrapping done. I know there is a medical name for this... but I don't know it.

Blood panel attached.

Looks like UT Knoxville is the best in Tennessee and I'm about 5 hours away from them. Will mention to the vet when she calls.

Attachments

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bless her heart. I will keep her in my thoughts and prayers. Do keep us updated with her. :grouphug2: sending hugs to you guys!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SweetFacesRescue

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
$1700.00 later and so many test It would take me 10 minutes to type them all.... but think we have a Dx.

Hyperparathyroidism.

Allegedly this is very rare in dogs and even more rare in cats.
Extremely low to NIL vitamin D and ***thyroid level is non existent. ... yet calcium level was ok?? got this message as I was driving home tonight...

too exhausted to research it all tonight... but look forward to hearing if you guys have ever heard of this..... Vet is having her medication compounded at Wedgewood Pharmacy and said it will take a week to come in... calcitriol orally twice a day.... this is not going to go well as this baby acts like a monkey having convulsions when given oral medication. I'm trying to find this in injectable form as it is a human drug.

Will check back with you guys tomorrow....

35 year catdad

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I too love a Tortie sweetheart who is super healthy at 17 now and is by my side as I type.
Thank you SO MUCH for doing cat rescue (especially a special needs cat) !!
Thoughts and prayers to you both for a good outcome.
People who have huge vet bills in saving rescue cats should have help with donations from those that can afford it? somebody GO Fund this wonderful cat lover. This 8 month old crazy Calico and my Tortie get along pretty well amazingly.