9 Month Old Resident Kitten Stalking 8 Week Old New Kitten

rae0fsun

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 9 month old kitten, who I adopted when he was 3 months. He’s neutered and spoiled with all the toys and cat furniture and realized I wanted to get him a companion. About 10 days ago, I brought home a 7 week old male kitten, now just over 8 weeks.

The first day the resident cat was hissing and not at all happy. I keep the baby in the bathroom with separate litter box, toys, scratching post, bed, etc. The bathroom is also where the resident cat’s litter box used to be… but I live in a small apartment and the bathroom is the only enclosed room.

They have been playing footsies through the door and play swatting (cooing and chirping sounds when doing this) so I thought they were ready to meet. Sometimes when the baby is sleeping on me the resident cat just lays nearby. But when the baby is playing or exploring the living area, the resident cat pounces and pins him down. They do have a bit of an exchange and the baby is curious. But even when the baby plays the older cat stalks and watches him like prey.

how do I get my older kitten to stop trying to hunt his little brother? he waits outside the bathroom and cries wanting to “play” with the younger cat, but then when they interact he immediately pins him down.

I already use the feliway spray and make sure to give them attention separately and together.. any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi and welcome to TCS! I think that the resident cat means no harm, is very curious of this new addition, but primarily is playing. If there is no actual biting, and the resident cat doesn't have his ears back, he is just thinking he has found an easy target to play with. However, having said that your new cat is still too young not to be watched over closely until he can grow bigger. This will also help to avoid the new little guy from becoming scared of his new bigger brother. It probably doesn't help matters that the litter box placement has been changed, but if he is using it OK, then not so much of a worry.

Maybe swap sites so that the kitten has time to explore without worrying about what his big brother is doing. If you don't want to confine your resident to the bathroom, then you can always invest in a baby gate or similar blockade to block him off from the expiring kitten. And, for now, whenever they are together, try distracting big brother so that he has something else to focus on - a lot of folks use a kickeroo toy to toss to the 'attacker'. If that doesn't work, you will just have to intervene until such time little brother gets bigger and can 'hold his own'. If your resident cat likes to sit by you, or on you, you can always 'invite' him to join you and little brother for some chill time on the couch. Your resident needs to feel he hasn't been replaced.

It's only been 10 days, so more time will help with adjustment/adaptation.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
A young male cat can easily be over-exuberant with a younger, smaller kitten. It's really common and usually as the other kitten evens out in size it gets a bit easier. If he super focused on the kitten? Are you able to wear him out a bit before they play?

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The more they are together the better it will get. Your older boy is getting very worked up at the anticipation of playing with the kitten. You want him to be a little bored by the kittens presence.

It sounds like your teen already likes the baby and wants to play. An accidental injury is more likely than an intentional one. All cat play is practice for hunting. If the baby isn't scared or overwhelmed then the older cat is being gentler than it looks to a human. If big brother is too intense for your liking, block his vision to baby, and distract him. A snack, you sitting calmly with the baby, and enourage him to sit with the 2 of you since he alredy likes that.

Like A Alldara said, play with the older kitten as much as possible. Put the baby up on a chair so he doesn't get run over.

It won't be long until the baby is big enough to keep up with the older one.