9 Month Old Neutered Male Peeing Beside Litter Box

sam12

Sam
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi! So I have 9 month old Richard who was neutered when he was 6 months old and has never showed signs of spaying in the past or now he just simply thinks pooing is for the litter and peeing is for the ground.
I previously had a litter mat underneath the litter box but I've since removed it because I was afraid that the pee smell that is IMPOSSIBLE to get out even after multiple bleaching is probably encouraging him but it hasn't deterred him.
My partner and I have resolved to watching him closely and feeding him treats when he pees inside the box (usually we have to put him in the box when we catch him going on the ground)
does anyone have any tips to help Richard learn that he has to pee in the box?

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First thing i would do is have a vet check. Cats with Urinary issues are know for doing this, URI or blockage, crystals. Its especially important to have a male checked as soon as possible as it can go very bad, very quick.

Second thing i would do is have two litter boxes, in separate rooms, or right beside each other. Some cats want one box for poo and one for pee. try keeping one a little full of litter, one with a little less, see what he likes. But i would have a vet check as soon as you can.

Best of luck too him, and keep us updated.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sam12

Sam
Young Cat
Purraise
I'll have a vet check but i very much doubt its a uti as he has displayed no signs of pain or discomfort peeing or otherwise so this leads me to believe that this is a behavioural problem.
The apartment i live in is very small and i have 2 housemates so I can only have one litter box until i move home (hopefully soon)
I was wondering, the current litter box I'm using is extra large but dosen't have a hood and I've noticed richard often stands at the edge of the litter box and pees outside it, could upgrading to a hooded litter box maybe coach him to pee inside or would it just deter him fro using it at all?

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
good question with the hood. I find they cause more problems than they cure. Although some people have good luck with then, it has never been my experience. It might do to check the litter, if its too deep, or too rough this will cause cats to stand right at the edge and pee over sometimes. What type of litter do you use?

I think with a UTI, or blockage they may not show symptoms, other than inappropriate elimination, until it gets really bad. i would have the vet check to be safe. and then maybe try a different, finer, softer litter. and maybe a little less in the box? just some thoughts.

keep us updated!

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
I'll have a vet check but i very much doubt its a UTI as he has displayed no signs of pain or discomfort peeing or otherwise so this leads me to believe that this is a behavioral problem

The apartment I live in is very small and i have 2 housemates so I can only have one litter box until i move home (hopefully soon).

I was wondering, the current litter box I'm using is extra large but dosen't have a hood and I've noticed richard often stands at the edge of the litter box and pees outside it, could upgrading to a hooded litter box maybe coach him to pee inside or would it just deter him fro using it at all?
Cats are masters at hiding pain. It is an instinct. Urinary infections are not so painful at the beginning that cats are unable to hide it. Also, if this started recently he might not be in pain yet.

Peeing over the edge of the litterbox must be corrected whether you have a mat or not. Does he use a box with three high sides and one low side and spill out that one or squat on the edge with his butt out?

Cato74

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My friends kitten did this. Her vet advised an enzyme cleaner as Danteshuman advised - Johnsons ‘Clean & Safe’ cat litter box cleaning spray is fantastic. A bit pricey but it’s a spray bottle so it goes a long way. It’s in a purple bottle. We both use it, it’s an enzyme neutraliser and so good that after using, when dry, if you shine a black light (cheap on EBay) onto the affected area, nothing shows up whereas cat wee glows bright blue.
Then the vet said to try and catch kitten in the act of peeing and sprinkle some litter on his fresh wee then, use a scoop, pick it up and put it where it should go - in the litter box. When Richard recognises his own scent in the box, it will teach him very quickly that this is where he is supposed to go. My mate did just that and after 1 more ‘accident’ her kitten stopped his inappropriate peeing and started using the litter tray every time for both his ‘business’ needs. Reward each wee with a treat until a new, good habit is formed.
It worked like a charm for her, hopefully for you too. Good luck & let us know how you get on with him.

sam12

Sam
Young Cat
Purraise
good question with the hood. I find they cause more problems than they cure. Although some people have good luck with then, it has never been my experience. It might do to check the litter, if its too deep, or too rough this will cause cats to stand right at the edge and pee over sometimes. What type of litter do you use?

I think with a UTI, or blockage they may not show symptoms, other than inappropriate elimination, until it gets really bad. i would have the vet check to be safe. and then maybe try a different, finer, softer litter. and maybe a little less in the box? just some thoughts.

keep us updated!
I just changed my litter from the woolworths select brand to a more expensive litter called VitaPet, the litter is a lot finer and more sandlike vs the old litter which was recycled paper and bulky. So far so good with the litter switch but it's only been a day.

Cats are masters at hiding pain. It is an instinct. Urinary infections are not so painful at the beginning that cats are unable to hide it. Also, if this started recently he might not be in pain yet.

Peeing over the edge of the litterbox must be corrected whether you have a mat or not. Does he use a box with three high sides and one low side and spill out that one or squat on the edge with his butt out?
His litter box is an extra large box with even sides and he usually he squats at the edge and pees outside or he will pee directly beside it and ignore the litter box entirely.

My friends kitten did this. Her vet advised an enzyme cleaner as Danteshuman advised - Johnsons ‘Clean & Safe’ cat litter box cleaning spray is fantastic. A bit pricey but it’s a spray bottle so it goes a long way. It’s in a purple bottle. We both use it, it’s an enzyme neutraliser and so good that after using, when dry, if you shine a black light (cheap on EBay) onto the affected area, nothing shows up whereas cat wee glows bright blue.
Then the vet said to try and catch kitten in the act of peeing and sprinkle some litter on his fresh wee then, use a scoop, pick it up and put it where it should go - in the litter box. When Richard recognises his own scent in the box, it will teach him very quickly that this is where he is supposed to go. My mate did just that and after 1 more ‘accident’ her kitten stopped his inappropriate peeing and started using the litter tray every time for both his ‘business’ needs. Reward each wee with a treat until a new, good habit is formed.
It worked like a charm for her, hopefully for you too. Good luck & let us know how you get on with him.
I've heard of that brand! I'll give it a try! Also thats a good idea with the litter! we're already rewarding him when we catch him peeing it the box!

Thanks for all the help guys! I'll book Richard for a vet appointment and keep you guys updated!

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I definitely agree that it's best to have a vet check him out. If everything is okay (and hopefully it will be!), you can experiment around with changing around the type of litter. How often do you clean his box? Cats will usually avoid litter boxes that aren't scooped out regularly.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some cats need "creative" litter boxes. Like large plastic tubs with a hole in the lid for him to get in and out of (or just a large tub.)

I use tidycat because it is lightweight and I'm hauling it up and down stairs. Before that I used arm and hammer clumping. My boys never had any issues. However in this case it is sounding like the box it's self is the issue not the litter.

sam12

Sam
Young Cat
Purraise
I definitely agree that it's best to have a vet check him out. If everything is okay (and hopefully it will be!), you can experiment around with changing around the type of litter. How often do you clean his box? Cats will usually avoid litter boxes that aren't scooped out regularly.
I clean his litter daily! my partner is a neat freak so it's never really dirty.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No the large/deep tubs are so they can't get over the edge or spray over the edge when peeing.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hopeful the litter change will make a good difference for you. Some cats do great with pellet type litter, mine would never use it. I think some cats are very picky with the litter, others are more easy going.

And yes, that vet visit is still recommended.

Cato74

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Some cats need "creative" litter boxes. Like large plastic tubs with a hole in the lid for him to get in and out of (or just a large tub.)

I use tidycat because it is lightweight and I'm hauling it up and down stairs. Before that I used arm and hammer clumping. My boys never had any issues. However in this case it is sounding like the box it's self is the issue not the litter.
I use a big litter box - a modko modcat box as when a kitten Cato was unbelievable at chucking litter about 1-2 metres 360° around his tray, ridiculous so I spent a silly amount on this litter box but it sure is worth the money and cleaning it out is a doddle. He took to it straight away too luckily.