9-month old male suddenly and selectively aggressive

shadowkat777

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So the story is the cat named above is Jack. He and his brother came to my mom and I last July when they were a week old and we have raised them ever since. We had a shelter help us out so they were wormed and spayed at the appropriate times. Jack moved with me to Florida in November after I got married and seemed to adjust ok. In February there was a mishap with a candle warmer that led to him having to go to the groomer. He had to get his rabies shot as a result just so the girl wouldn't get in trouble for grooming an unvaccinated cat. He's had spell of overly aggressive behavior ever since. Some times it almost feels like schizophrenia because of how fast it comes and seems to go. It's not full on hissing and flat ears but the dilated eyes, meowing thats not quite yowling and then he just attacks. It used to be my arms, legs, and feet, but lately its just arms and its only at night or in the morning when I'm in bed. AND ITS ONLY ME. He doesn't do it to my husband. I think he used to but he's stopped. I think he's decided that my husband is dominate but he still does it to me. He did it last night and my husband pushed him off the bed and he didn't do it again when he jumped back up. I read where I'm supposed to redirect his attention but I honestly don't understand what that means and it's really hard to when he's only doing it as we go to bed or as we wake up. Any suggestions or thoughts? 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shadowkat777

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
And I meant to say neutered, not spayed. 

tulosai

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If it's only when you are in bed, why can't you just close the door to your bedroom when you go to sleep? I know you are also seeking advice on why he is doing this and how to break him of the habit, but keeping him out of the bedroom when you are in bed is the most practical and quickest way to get the behavior to instantly stop.

Additionally, has he been checked by a vet? Unusual and prolonged behavior can mean something is medically wrong or that he is in pain.

Hopefully others will come by to offer advice soon.  Welcome to the forums 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shadowkat777

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He seems to only be pissy in the morning IF we lock him out. It's the strangest thing.

Also he's been pooping outside of his litter box sometimes but I can't tell if that's stress or if its because he's outgrowing it or because the litter is low or if he's in a contest with the dog who also likes to poop in the litter box room because it obviously smells like an animal bathroom.